Is this good 5k progress?

Options
2»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yes, it's good progress, but you also should start adding outside runs. Some/many people (I'm not one of them) find that treadmill running is less challenging than an outdoor run.

Regarding the run/walk thing: I run/walk all of my races (with a one-mile sprint race being the exception -- that one I do all out, because I'm thrilled that I can easily nail a 9-minute mile when I have to). I have specific intervals, and that's how I train as well. I discovered very early on that I did far better with split times when I did a run/walk at prescribed intervals than I did if I tried to run the whole thing. I do half marathons that way, and am happy with my progress, and see absolutely no reason to change what I'm doing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    All progress is good progress agreed! If you're looking for tips, I'd suggest that you slow down enough that you can run the full 5k, then start working on speed after your get your base established. The reason you can't run the whole distance is because you are running too fast, and you must be running segments pretty fast to achieve a sub-30 time with walking.
    Just keep it going!
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    As others have said, compare your progress to yourself and no one else! If you are getting faster then celebrate it! :D<3

I recently went under 23mins for the first time which for me was a huge achievement, but for most runners that I know this is just an easy jog for them, so it’s all relative!! :D

I would also second the recommendations of slowing down a bit to train yourself to be able to run the full distance without walking as 30 mins for a walk / run suggests you are doing a decent pace for the run part.
  • wanderingaowie
    wanderingaowie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I started this having no clue what to do other than try to get fitter and so just focused on speed, but everyone's right it is so tough on the body. I am super excited to shift my goal from speed to distance. I'm going to start focusing on 10k from today... I'm actually relieved that I can start to slow it down.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    The average pace for your age is 11 minutes per mile.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was happy just to shave 1 minute off my time. So yeah, hitting 5K in under 30 minutes is good. But really it’s all about hitting personal goals, not worrying about what others are doing. It’s good progress because that’s the goal you set and you hit. Maybe your next goal could be to do it all without walking.
  • wanderingaowie
    wanderingaowie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So I just went to the gym and tried out what you guys said, slowed it down to about 9kmh, and I can't believe I'm typing this but I just did 7km without stopping.. over 45 mins of continuous jogging. What the heck is going on?! I'm in shock.

So thanks for the advice everyone!!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    ahodgeface wrote: »
    So I just went to the gym and tried out what you guys said, slowed it down to about 9kmh, and I can't believe I'm typing this but I just did 7km without stopping.. over 45 mins of continuous jogging. What the heck is going on?! I'm in shock.

So thanks for the advice everyone!!

Woop woop! It is so counterintuitive, but the quickest way to run better is to run slower. Now, go kick some 10k butt!