Starting over at 60!

Options
Like so many others on here, I have had the lose it, gain it, lose it, gain more and back, for much of my adult life. While weight was not an issue in my youth and as a young adult all things changed after having children. Which is no excuse. I have terrible eating habits and don't move around enough (I can be very lazy). Being honest with myself is the hardest thing I have to do. So now, at 60, I'm starting AGAIN. I have a huge amount of weight to lose and have two strikes against me right out of the gate. My age and my job is sedentary 8 hours + a day in front of a computer, AND I work from home.
So I've started with little things this time round. I had refused to keep track online since I'm on a computer all day long. Who am I hurting, only myself. I also kept to myself and didn't reach out to anyone. Time to put that all behind me and get out of my comfort zone. So here I start. I look forward to hearing about your successes, and struggles, as the days go by.

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am 63 (today) I have had the same thing since I was in my late 20's. Lose, gain, lose, gain. Fad diets loads of money wasted.

Then a few years ago I discovered MFP and everything changed. I lost 32 lbs maintained at that weight for 2 years. Then life threw me a few wobblies and I regained most of that weight due to going back to bad habits. But when I hit 60 I decided it was time to get back on the wagon. I have lost 31 lbs so far most of that was this year. So I am back on track to reaching my goal.

Stick with it, log your food. weigh and measure everything and trust the process.

Tips
    1. Eat what you enjoy just make sure it fits you calorie goal
    2. Be patient this takes time
    3. I downloaded the Libra APP and weigh in every day this shows me the over all trend and I can see it is going down even with the daily fluctuations so I don't get discouraged.
    4. Listen to the experienced people on here they have some really good advice and give it out freely.
    5. The winner is the person who eats the most but still loses, starving yourself doesn't work.
    6. Be consistent. If you have a bad day just put it behind you and get back on track the next day.

Good luck.
  • Sissy_b
    Sissy_b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and going through the same thing. I'm tired of the yo-yo dieting. This time I'm doing it because I want my health & my life back. I want to have the energy to be able to do things with my grandson.

I was doing good a couple years ago then my thyroid stopped working. I finally got my meds under control & 80 pounds later. Now I'm ready to do something about it.

I've been looking into weightloss surgery. I've seen a dietitian and in order to have the surgery I have to lose weight first!

After talking to her I know my thinking has been wrong all these years. So I'm changing everything about the way I eat. If I can lose weight following what she's got me doing then hopefully I won't need the surgery.

She has me eating something every 2 hours. My plate now is a child's plate not a dinner plate. I have protein at every meal and every snack. 2 to 3 snacks a day and 3 meals a day. You have to keep feeding in order to lose weight who knew.

My calories are 1,200 to 1,500 a day, but I've been staying right under 1,200 a day. Only going over a couple times. After I lose about 20 pounds I'm hoping I'll be able to start walking more. Right now I'm short of breath very easy from lack of exercise.

I usually have a high protein shake for breakfast because I've never been a breakfast eater.
    Lunch is usually a salad with lettuce, tomato, 2 boiled egg whites, Parmesan cheese and 2 table spoons of Italian dressing.
    Dinner is a meat, chicken, fish or turkey burger. Palm size.. vegetables and a baked potato.

Snacks are string cheese & a apple
    Or Greek yogurt and a banana or cheese and grapes.
    So far so good.

It took a few days to get used to this but now I can tell when my 2 hours are up and I'm ready to eat again.
    Thought I'd share how the dietitian has told me to eat to lose weight.
    Good luck! 😊
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    71 and still going, add me as a friend if you would like to. Good luck all
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you. I know it seems hard at first but I know it can be done with some hard work and a little poke from us here on MFP. I've been at it a year now (seriously started around April this year) and I turned 60 in September.
    I am extremely happy with my fitness and body now and I enjoy my new found energy. I too sit most days at a computer when I'm not actually photographing people but always find time to log all of my food and exercises and I've been fascinated by the whole adventure of nutrition and planning meals. It really can be fun.

Then of course there are you guys out in MFP land who are amazing at helping us all with our questions and are great at kicking butt when we need motivating to stay with it.

So go on.. give your body and mind a real treat and change your life for ever!

My food and fitness diaries are open to friends if anyone wants to add me.
  • Mammabee1959
    Mammabee1959 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi, I will be 60 soon and I'm just beginning to realize I need to take better care of me. 😉. My children are all but raised, my youngest is in college. I have two young grandkids. I realized if I don't do something I won't be around to see them grow up. I have some health issues that would be much easier to deal with if I were a smaller me. So here I am at the beginning and a long way to go. I also love being a blessing to others. It's sort of what I was born to do.
  • brendaathens
    brendaathens Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m 60, too. I’m concentrating on getting healthy enough to keep up with the world. I’ve lost 18 pounds with a lot to go. Please add me as a friend, I can use all the support I can get.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I’m 66 and here everyday for mutual support. I love active members who log and comment daily! I struggle with a worn out spine but do the best I can to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Add me if you want a friend!
  • SimplyMary66
    SimplyMary66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I need friends who are supportive and comment. I will support you back!