Good breakfast ideas

Options
Hi,

I'm a busy mother of three with a full time job, school runs to 2 different schools as well as looking after a house. Mornings I have limited time, has anyone got any ideas for quick healthy breakfasts? I'm getting bored of granola and Weetabix lol

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• hatsumi141
    hatsumi141 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats and smoothies are always a quick grab.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Good news: it takes only a minute to set a pot of water on the stove and put a dozen eggs in it. Bring to boil and cook until eggs are hard boiled. Rinse and refrigerate in shells. Because they require so little attention and can be made ahead they're extremely efficient.

Depending on your appetite, this could be four to six breakfasts. The eggs will last a week or so.

Also: greek yogurt with some cut up fresh fruit. Top with a bit of that granola or wheetabix if you like a little crunchy texture.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have done before:
    (1) Overnight Oats - So many variations!
    (2) Multigrain Frozen Waffles + Natural Maple Syrup, Coffee, Scrambled Eggs. (I get all three going at the same time and it takes me about 10 mins)
    (3) PB Sandwich + Coffee
    (4) Soup - A little unconventional but I appreciate soup in the morning b/c of my European side.
    (5) Pita Pocket w/ sliced cheese, Tomato, and cucumber - You can use any bread. I love this combination!
    (6) Pita Pocket w/ sliced cheese and scrambled eggs - A slight variation of a breakfast sandwich
    (7) Nut Bar + Almond Milk

• davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A mother of three... I'd recommend a pot of hot, almost boiling water. You can poach eggs quickly and conveniently, as well as reheat frozen precooked sausage or bacon for five with ease. Cleanup is as easy as rinsing out and wiping down your non-stick pot. Toasted english muffins for convenient breakfast sandwiches.
  • RebelAnneDoll
    RebelAnneDoll Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I make myself a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal (1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 3/4 cup 2% milk, add 1 tsp brown sugar after its ready). While I'm waiting for it to boil I get my son a bowl of cereal and do a load of dishes so it doesn't interrupt my morning schedule.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    A hard boiled egg and some microwaved turkey sausage links is an easy breakfast to eat standing up while packing lunches. Add in a half grapefruit or apple slices for fiber.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, but 2 kids rather than 3! I make myself a smoothie every morning. Throw a banana, frozen blueberries, kale, chia seeds, protein powder and almond milk in a cup and blitz it for 30 seconds with my stick blender. Easy, yummy, and keeps me going until lunch.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Baked oats is always yummy! I make a big brownie dish, slice it in to portions and it lasts a good four days or so.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I blend 2 eggs, 1 container cottage cheese and 40 g oats and then fry it in a bit of coconut oil, Makes a high protein pancake. Top with cinnamon and Stevia or jelly.
  • ThomasPM
    ThomasPM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My quick Breakfast is 2 scrambled eggs, 4 slices of Turkey Bacon, and a fruit selection today was pineapple.
    Turkey Bacon Microwaved for 1 min 40 sec, while I cook the eggs.
    So Under 5 mins altogether.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sandwich
    Dinner leftovers
    Fruit
    Muffin
    Yogurt
    Raw vegetables and hummus
    Cottage cheese
    Canned soup
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs, I make them with no oil or butter, just a bit of salt and pepper. Takes less than 5 minutes.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    A couple of over-easy eggs and a slice of Ezekiel toast keeps me satisfied for several hours. Only takes 5 minutes to make.
  • kimmurden1
    kimmurden1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste website has a number of wonderful breakfast options that freeze well, are nutritious, and really good.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think the main reason i have done intermittent fasting most of my adult life is because of that hassle of finding something I want to eat that isn’t a giant cinnamon roll or buscuits and gravy :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A scrambled egg in the microwave takes about 40 seconds, no oil or butter needed. Throw a slice of toast in the toaster while it's cooking, open a container of Greek yogurt to go along with it, and you have breakfast in less than 3 minutes.
  • HaylRock
    HaylRock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the amazing replies! I'm allergic to eggs but everything else sounds great.

I think the notion that we should liberate ourselves from "traditional" breakfasts is interesting and I'm going to try something different when the kids go back to school. I've tried the overnight oats after reading - absolutely love it! So do my kids so that solved two probs!

Thanks again!

Hayley x
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    haylkew wrote: »
    Wow thanks for all the amazing replies! I'm allergic to eggs but everything else sounds great.

I think the notion that we should liberate ourselves from "traditional" breakfasts is interesting and I'm going to try something different when the kids go back to school. I've tried the overnight oats after reading - absolutely love it! So do my kids so that solved two probs!

Thanks again!

Hayley x

That was the single greatest thing I ever did/learned related to eating breakfast.