Emotional eating

Options
I have had a lot going on and realized for the first time how often I eat my feelings and how little I care in the moment.
Tips for emotional eaters?

Replies

• 2020yesyouwill2020
    2020yesyouwill2020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One woman suggested on my thread to make a list of why I want to lose the weight, why I have to, and read it in the heat of the moment.
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    2020yesyouwill2020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Me personally I eat ice cream and fries when I want to physically hurt myself or drink. We all have our poison. I feel like eating is less harmful than drinking but poison is poison. It usually takes me 2 days to process my emotions with the aid of food. I'm going to buy a used treadmill this week and focus on running out the emotions. That's the only thing I can suggest. For me, I always take things too far so I'm hoping the treadmill will help me get my emotions under control
  • SaraMakingChanges
    SaraMakingChanges Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have the same habit and it’s a hard one to break. Some things that help me:

1. Don’t have any bad foods in the house. Then when the urge to eat feelings comes up, there is less available for easy consumption. Eating healthy stuff is less fun in those times and filling.

2. Talk to someone - venting helps!

3. Go for a walk or clean the house with your favourite music playing. Distract and exhaust yourself. I like to wear headphones bcs it helps me block the negative thoughts. Gets me into the music more.

4. Drink water and allow yourself some food - I’m a fan of air popped popcorn with butter. It’s satisfying and high fibre so how bad could it be?

5. Gum

6. Brush teeth and Go to bed early (this is one of my last resorts when I’m feeling really low).

• Caseyloupuckett
    Caseyloupuckett Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I got really stressed at work today. And instead of over eating. I took and few minutes to pray. It did help.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Learn new coping mechanisms. Exercise is great for stress, anxiety, even depression. I also enjoy journaling and/or coloring when I’m upset.

It takes awhile to retrain your brain to not want food when you are feeling emotional. But you can make great progress by asking yourself “Am I eating because I’m hungry or stressed?” and if the answer is stress do something else to feel better.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I call it “emotional exercise”. I barely sit down. Couldn’t tell you the last time I watched tv. Used to love tv but now I don’t make time for it. 154lbs gone, 11months, don’t miss sitting. Diet and exercise that’s it. Your emotions might change when you decide to focus on something that makes you feel so good. I made up my own rules in life and trimmed out the junk (emotions) that were weighing me down, literally. Pm if you’d like.
  • peachtoad
    peachtoad Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So delighted to have found this forum. My weight has been a mess the last few years and have felt totally out of control. I finally realised how much my eating is tied to my emotions and decided to do something about it last week. I downloaded a book called the Beck Diet Solution which basically is like therapy for people who eat emotionally. I’m slowly working my way through it and trying to change habits. Today’s task was to find a weight loss buddy or community in which to be accountable. To be honest I could really do with the encouragement. My weight hasn’t budged so far and I can feel my mood slipping. My goal for today is to just do 30mins exercise and not reach for a chocolate biscuit! 😬
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If you can run, run. If not running, something else aerobic. Sweat!! Endorphines from a good run are the best medicine.
  • peachtoad
    peachtoad Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks mulecanter. I managed a fast paced two hour walk. Tomorrow I’m going to try a walk/run combo to get a little more burn. It’s been years since I ran so I’m going to have to retrain my body.