How to hace a cheat day without over doing it!

Options
I decided to have a cheat day every friday.. but what can I do to not over do it. Ya know? I want to eat what I want but don't want mess upthe good thing I've been doing? Would 1 cheat day a week mess up my weight loss?

Replies

• bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Just keep your weekly total the same. If you are eating 1200 calories daily, your weekly total should be 8400.
    With good planning and some extra exercise, you can do it!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Totally should not...if you are worried....change you goal to stay the same weight....it will tell you how many calories you can have and not gain weight....don't forget to change it back to your goal after you get the number

Remember.....one night should not have any impact....its if you do it everyday!!!!!!!

even though you consider it a cheat day try to hit the gym or do a workout of some sort!!!! just more calories for you to play with....

Remember it took time to gain the weight...one day is not going to hurt you....

just my thoughts though...
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    Myself, I have a cheat meal, instead of a cheat day. which is every Sunday
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Yep. This is what I do.
  • AlyAnt26
    AlyAnt26 Posts: 58
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If you don't NEED to go off of your plan, then why would you? If you can grit your teeth and stay on plan, then go for that! If you MUST cheat, then everything in moderation, drink lots of water, and get extra exercise.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    On my cheat days I turn it into more of a "half" cheat day...meaning I usually get up, work out hard, and eat a healthy breakfast/lunch then whatever I want for the rest of the day. I find that if I work out and know how many calories I burned and how long it took to burn them, then I don't want to overdo it because I already worked so hard.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I also do a cheat meal instead of a cheat day, and frankly, I've only had one or two cheat meals in over 2 months. What I try to do on a daily basis is find recipes that I love and make them healthier in some way, so I don't feel like I am depriving myself of anything. I use www.hungrygirl.com and www.skinnytaste.com for inspiration. As for another example, last SuperBowl, I made homemade chicken wings but I first steamed them, then baked them to get them crispy instead of frying. They were absolutely delicious and you would have never known they were not fried. Good luck to you!!
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation of cause, weight came happens over accumulation not in one day. So if you have one sensible cheat day a week should not hurt at all.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    In life, there are going to be times when it's unavoidable to eat a naughty meal. I found that even one day of 'relaxed' eating makes it tough to get back on track. I wouldn't PLAN a 'cheat' day, it can mess up all of your hard work through the week. Just don't beat yourself up if you find yourself in a situation where you do eat above your goals.

Also, take into consideration, that if you PLAN a cheat day Friday, and the gang asks you to go out Saturday, then you have to watch it when you are out with your friends. I think it's better to stay on track and if LIFE steers you the other direction, you don't have to worry so much about it, and end up beating yourself up for blowing things.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Um, why do you feel the need to "cheat"? Have whatever you want, make it fit. If you feel you have to cheat does that mean you are depriving yourself? Why? Why are you not worth it? When you're at your goal, aren't you going to want some of those things? Why not learn how to eat whatever you want now rather than wait til later and possibly ( I did say POSSIBLY) set yourself up for failure?

Remember: YOU ARE WORTHY.

That may mean a chocolate cupcake today, or a massage next week, or a smile from a stranger. But, always, YOU ARE WORTHY.
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Yep. This is what I do.

Me too!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    heres the rule if you must cheat (I'm against the whole cheat day thing btw)....only one! w.e it is have only one or one serving
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was pretty strict on myself, however about 2-3 months ago I started having a cheat meal and now I have cheat day once a week. As long as you are strong enough to come back to eating healthy foods I don't see a problem. Just keep your goals in mind and have fun no matter. Life is too short to worry and I try to live everyday as best as I can :flowerforyou:
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I agree with hockeymom - I think calling it a "cheat day" makes it almost a negative reinforcement for our old lifestyles. We have to find a way to LIVE and be healthy while we are living, right? It takes 21 days to change a habit, and that's really what we're doing right? If we don't change the habits we have with food, whether it's eating for comfort, or just bad choices in general, we'll always backslide back into those choices that helped us to get where we are today. it's a habit that we have developed over a period of days, months and years of choices, so you have to ask yourself "is an entire day of choices that I already know I don't agree with worth it?"

my humble offering :)
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When i have days where i crave fried chicken, or should i say ezelle's fried chicken strips, and oreo cookie shake fom jack in the box, i save my calories needed for them and just have coffee with almond milk and fruit in the am anud a slice of toast and fruit for lunch or something light. If you can workout first you will have even more calories to work withh, just stay in your calories and you will feel like you cheated but really didnt.
  • aph1234
    aph1234 Posts: 25
    Options
    yes you have to give yourself treats its important in order to stick with the weight loss but i agree with the others a cheat meal not day eat light for the other two meals then enjoy something you love then go back to the diet you will feel better about yourself the next day