5K Training Plan

Options
I'm looking for a 5K training plan with about 4 weeks of training for a fit woman (exercises every day but not necessarily running.) Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k, start a few weeks in?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I'd say do C25K. I think it's Cool Running that did the original? Maybe? Any of the iPhone apps should be adequate.

You may find the first few weeks easy, and that's OK -- you'll be able to move through them quickly without needing to repeat. But don't get too worried if it's harder than you think. I thought I was relatively fit -- and I was, but not in running. ;) Turns out running was a completely new set of movements for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You may find the first few weeks easy, and that's OK -- you'll be able to move through them quickly without needing to repeat. But don't get too worried if it's harder than you think. I thought I was relatively fit -- and I was, but not in running. ;) Turns out running was a completely new set of movements for me.

Agreed! I started running straight after completing Insanity... insanity I could do, running, not so much!!!!
  • collectingblues
    Options

Agreed! I started running straight after completing Insanity... insanity I could do, running, not so much!!!!

I know! I was all "Oh, I walk at a decent clip, and I do yoga and swim, this will be fine." HAHAHAHA. Nope. I thought I was gonna die the first week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a 5K training plan with about 4 weeks of training for a fit woman (exercises every day but not necessarily running.) Thanks!

If you're fit from a cardiovascular standpoint, that shouldn't be an issue...I think the bigger issue will be getting your body used to the impact if you're not currently running. On a whim I went out with my wife for a jog not too long ago...I had no problem from a cardiovascular fitness standpoint...I'm a cycling enthusiast, and I just wasn't used to the pounding and the pain and soreness were for real.

I'd also go with a C25K...they are longer than 4 weeks, but at least it will start getting your body used to the pounding.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    4 weeks isn't long enough to do any kind of training plan. 12 minimum, 16 is better.

Just run and have fun
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Why four weeks?

That's a bit short really
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Start C25K. If you find it too easy, skip a few weeks.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Why four weeks?

The reason is because I learned about a very low cost race nearby that our whole family can run for only $20. Much more affordable than most races. The race is on
    Thanksgiving. We exercise daily and some of it is running, but we haven't specifically trained for this race.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Why four weeks?

The reason is because I learned about a very low cost race nearby that our whole family can run for only $20. Much more affordable than most races. The race is on
    Thanksgiving. We exercise daily and some of it is running, but we haven't specifically trained for this race.

Plan to run/walk or walk the race. Four weeks is a really short time to learn to run 5k and you risk an overuse injury if you try to increase your mileage that fast.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start C25k. For your event, do walk run intervals just like C25k. Lots of people walk all or part of a 5k, especially for a Turkey trot.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the C25K program!! When I started running, 16 years ago, there weren't plans like that. I would run 2 minutes and walk 2 minutes until I could run longer than I could walk. LOL!! It's a good, solid plan that a LOT of people have success with!! :)
  • collectingblues
    edited October 2018
    Options

Plan to either run/walk it, or walk the whole thing. It's "only" 3 miles, and a fitness base does help, but just be prepared to need to walk, and don't feel bad about doing so.

The nice thing about a Turkey Trot is that they tend to be much more low key. It's part of why I like our local one. I can just run, and I don't worry or think, and I get a good chuckle out of people's hats.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Plan to either run/walk it, or walk the whole thing. It's "only" 3 miles, and a fitness base does help, but just be prepared to need to walk, and don't feel bad about doing so.

The nice thing about a Turkey Trot is that they tend to be much more low key. It's part of why I like our local one. I can just run, and I don't worry or think, and I get a good chuckle out of people's hats.

a lot of people do the turkey trot in our area as a family. lots of run walkers. lots of walkers. very casual
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Going from zero to 5K in 4 weeks may be doable if you're already quite fit but it's one of those "just because you can doesn't make it a good idea" things.

Personally I think the 9 weeks that c25K shoots for can be overly aggressive for a new runner.

Here's a link to Hal Higdon's 5K novice plan, it's 8 weeks(it assumes you can already run 1.5 miles to start with) but you may be able to condense it a bit but really listen to your body and take things slow (be prepared to run /w walk if need be)

https://halhigdon.com/training-programs/5k-training/novice-5k/

Have fun & remember to smile for your finish line photo.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Thank you.

As others are suggesting, is plan a run/ walk strategy for the event.

I would just reiterate the advice above. Four weeks could easily see you with an overuse injury, but using C25K should help to mitigate that a little