Teachers

Options
I am a first grade teacher and this is my 6th year teaching :-) my question is how do other teachers get in the daily amount of water? I can get in about half of my daily amount but my problem is, I have no time to go to bathroom! Should I drink most of water after school?

Replies

• bon2themax
    Options
    I would try to get in at least 8 oz. before lunch and 8 oz. after lunch. Then you can drink the rest after school. It's tough, I know!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    First grade teachers at my school all have teacher assistants so they can leave the room. If that's not an option, I guess you could always just get in your water during your planning time or after school. My body eventually adapted to all that water and I didn't have to go to the bathroom as often.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's tough.

I'm not a teacher, but at certain times in my life, I have successfully drank most of my water in the mornings. I used to keep a 16 oz bottle by my bed and drink it first thing. Then I drank another in the bathroom getting ready, and another driving to work. I peed all morning, but then I was done and only had to drink one at lunch and one at dinner.

Depending upon how early you get up, maybe you can get some intake before school starts.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    I teach 8th grade...I go during nutrition or lunch...and if I have to make a run during passing period. But I have 5-6 minute breaks every 54 minutes.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It must be hard to take bathroom breaks when you have your students all day! Is there some part of the day where they are under someone else's care such as lunch, recess, art/music, gym?
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for me, at my school, my classroom has a bathroom in the room. All of the Pre-K, Kinder & PPCD (Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities) classrooms at my school have a bathroom. Unfortunately, the toilet in those rooms is only 15 inches off the floor ~ they are kiddy toilets!

Is there a classroom across the hall that you could get the teacher to keep an eye on your students while you run for a quick potty break? That is what some of the older grade levels do at my school. Either that, or when your students are at lunch (we have duty-free lunches, which means we do not have to eat lunch with the students) or on your planning period (during ours, the student are at their specials, either gym, art, computer or music). Or, do you have someone coming to your room, for instance, for special ed inclusion time who could monitor your students while you take a quick break? I am constantly drinking water all day long & usually am lucky enough to have someone nearby who can cover my class while I run to the bathroom. I hope I was able to help you with some suggestions ~ keep drinking your water! :drinker:
  • bridgej2
    bridgej2 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I get a break once a day for 30 mins @10am while kids are with art/music/pe teachers and then i get about 10 mins "away from children" during lunch if i ask another teacher to look out for my class while i take a "potty break" thats around 1130, then after that its just me and the kids from 1130 until end of day 230. I think im gonna drink what i can in mornings and take "potty break" while kids are with art/music/pe teachers, then im gonna try to drink most of my water afterschool.