Sore muscles

Options
Hey everyone! I have been doing aqua areobics and an aqua cardio class 4 x a week for about 6 weeks. My muscles are severely sore and the pain wont go away. I am overweight by about 100 lbs and haven't had much exercise in about 15 years. Is it normal to feel so much pain? I feel great in the water and if I'm sitting, but once I start walking I can feel every single muscle. Please tell me this pain will go away soon. :D

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Have you been sore the entire 6 weeks? That doesn't sound normal to me. You may want to see your doctor. Until then maybe chill a bit on the classes, say drop it to two a week instead of four, and see if some rest helps.

How's the diet side of your effort looking? Proper nutrition is essential, and weight is primarily lost in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So from nothing you went to 4x weeks intensive excessive? That may be a bit much and definitely not a build up. I suggest a rest week and then start again
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone else is saying. You started out too aggressively, it sounds like. And having sore muscles for the entire 6 weeks is definitely NOT normal!!!

We have a saying in the running community..... You can't outrun a bad diet! As pinuplove said, weight is primarily lost in the kitchen, not in the gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is the soreness you get in your muscles from exercise you are not used to. It typically comes on one to two days after the workout and lasts one to two days. You shouldn't be experiencing it after a week or so, if you are consistent about your exercise. It also tends to be less painful if you stay active. For example, if you sit for a few hours and get up, it will be really painful but will subside somewhat if you go for a walk or do some light yoga. It is all-over achy for the muscle group affected, not sharp pain in a localized spot.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing?
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    6 weeks of soreness isn’t normal. You may be taking on too much for your fitness level. Maybe cut back to 3x a week to give your body more time to recover between workouts. You can also talk to the instructor and they may give you some suggestions for modifications you can during class.

Yoga can also be a helpful addition to your workout routine. It doesn’t burn calories but it gets your muscles stretched out. I always feel quite a bit better after a yoga session.
  • JacksJackieJack
    JacksJackieJack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I probably did start off too aggressively but didnt realize because I can't feel the sweat or the burn in the water. I always feel fantastic in the water and for a little bit after so I keep pushing myself thinking the soreness will just disappear one day. I finally found something I enjoy doing and am slowly starting to see the results so taking days off is going to make me feel bad... :blush: really it will. I understand now when people say they have an addiction to the gym. I'm addicted to the water :smiley: I'll have to think about taking the rest of the week off and go back Monday. That's 4 days off.... should that be enough to recover?
  • JacksJackieJack
    Options
    DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is the soreness you get in your muscles from exercise you are not used to. It typically comes on one to two days after the workout and lasts one to two days. You shouldn't be experiencing it after a week or so, if you are consistent about your exercise. It also tends to be less painful if you stay active. For example, if you sit for a few hours and get up, it will be really painful but will subside somewhat if you go for a walk or do some light yoga. It is all-over achy for the muscle group affected, not sharp pain in a localized spot.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing?

That is exactly how I feel
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I probably did start off too aggressively but didnt realize because I can't feel the sweat or the burn in the water. I always feel fantastic in the water and for a little bit after so I keep pushing myself thinking the soreness will just disappear one day. I finally found something I enjoy doing and am slowly starting to see the results so taking days off is going to make me feel bad... :blush: really it will. I understand now when people say they have an addiction to the gym. I'm addicted to the water :smiley: I'll have to think about taking the rest of the week off and go back Monday. That's 4 days off.... should that be enough to recover?

Listen to your body. It should start to feel less sore every day. If you get 24 hours of no muscle soreness, then I think you are good to go back.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options

That can be a problem in the water! I used to swim (loved it but any gyms with a pool charge too much for me right now) and I would feel amazing in the pool and even the rest of the day but then the next day I would be dead!

4 days should be a good recovery time.
  • JacksJackieJack
    Options
    You guys are amazing! I am going to force myself to take some time off and see how I feel. If i'm no better, a trip to the Dr., it will be.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It can be hard, but necessary, to learn how to pace yourself during exercise, based on how your body responds. I encourage you to talk to your instructor and see if there are modifications you can make to lessen the intensity while still benefitting. Even water walking will be beneficial to you without so much stress.

Make sure you keep a water bottle near the pool and drink plenty before, during, and after your workouts. At least 1-2 quarts. You lose a lot of fluid (sweat) in the pool but don't realize it. Dehydration can cause muscle soreness & fatigue and other issues. Even if you "don't think" you're dehydrated, you could be.
  • JacksJackieJack
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It can be hard, but necessary, to learn how to pace yourself during exercise, based on how your body responds. I encourage you to talk to your instructor and see if there are modifications you can make to lessen the intensity while still benefitting. Even water walking will be beneficial to you without so much stress.

Make sure you keep a water bottle near the pool and drink plenty before, during, and after your workouts. At least 1-2 quarts. You lose a lot of fluid (sweat) in the pool but don't realize it. Dehydration can cause muscle soreness & fatigue and other issues. Even if you "don't think" you're dehydrated, you could be.

Ahhh dehydration....I bet that's a big part of being sore too. I feel so dumb right now. I always think I am drinking enough but when i track it's never even close. Thanks for the tip... back to tracking my water intake :)