My first really hard day...

Today was particularly hard for me for the first time since I have been on MFP. A co-worker's sister has started the HCG diet I think that is what it is called, where you take the drops and go to a 500 calorie diet. She has lost 10 pounds in one week, I have lost a whopping 11.5 pounds in six weeks. I found myself not wanting to eat and actually didn't finsih all of my calories. Feel free to look at my diary... I know that slow is better, but my goodness, it was really hard today. I just wanted to put this out there, because I am so serious about this. I hope tomorrow will be a better day

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    and another couple months from now you will be down more and she may have already gained that back and permanently ruined her metabolism. Slow is the way!!!! Dont get discouraged. I have people telling me to do it all the time and I refuse.
  • ame19798
    ame19798 Posts: 12 Member
    over the last 8 months I have lost 27 lbs...... I have pushed myself but knew that if I pushed too hard and make too drastic of changes then my weight would come right back.... give yourself a break you know what is best....slow and steady
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    i can relate. i have a coworker that's taking diet pills and losing a ridiculous amount of weight in a short period of time. it's frustrating but i truly believe that there are no short-cuts when it comes to a healthy lifestyle and losing weight. slow and steady wins the race! i mean, if it were really THAT easy to be thin we'd all be skinny, ya know? it's hard, but in the end you'll keep it off because you had to work for it... you're gonna earn it! hang in there. :-)
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Slow and steady SUCKS!!!!! :mad: But it always wins the race. :bigsmile:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    yeah, 8 months and 27 lbs here, too. It is a slow process, and I too get very discouraged seeing others lose faster than me. Just take to heart that you are doing well
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Think about it this way... If were to lose that much weight in such a short amount of time and continued to do so,-Not only is it really bad for you- your skin would just be hanging off your body. You are doing thing the right way and your body will be happier and healthier for it. :)
  • precioushope
    precioushope Posts: 5 Member
    i went on nutri system last year and lost 65 pounds on three months. i now have gained them all back plus twenty more. i am so depressed and feel like a failure. i am just starting on mfp. i have lost 5 pounds in two months. it is so slow. but i a committed to a slow process of learning how to live and eat well rather than starving. do not try a quick loss. the depression is horrible once you gain your weight back.
  • 4genieb
    4genieb Posts: 9
    Hooray for YOU !! Slow and steady will win the race. Starving down to 500 calories will ruin your coworker's metabolism. I didn't want diet pills offered to me because even though they could cut my appetite they could also put my body in starvation mode. Healthy is better than fast loss.
  • sweetie, the way she is losing is dangerous and most likely won't stay gone...I did this diet and got extremely sick and even lost my hair....it is not safe at all...not to mention it is not the way to lose and keep the pounds off for good....your body needs to exercise and it also needs to have the right fuel to function properly...500 calories is not enough to keep you functioning properly for very long and your body will rebel against it !!!

don't feel bad....just remember that what you are doing is the safe and smart way to lose the weight for good...now go and eat some more food and finish out your day right !!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    You're being healthier AND you will keep it off! My mom did the 500 cal a day thing, no working out, and is already gaining some back.
  • m_erira
    m_erira Posts: 52 Member
    I got u. I have only lost half pound in two weeks. I'm exercising 4 times a week, logging my calories daily, and trying to eat good food. I know somebody that is doing the same diet, but in the long run I know that our peace is the healthiest for our bodies... so keep it up... tomorrow will be a better day :)
  • I look at it as who really knows the long term effects of this stuff. Your friend could be doing serious damage to her body in the long run. You will be healthy and there won't be any long term side effects. I get down too, but tomorrow is another day and it will be better.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    You know that saying Been There Done That, Got the Tshirt? Well, I tried every diet and supplement under the sun when i was first trying to lose weight. I have been addicted to ephedra, bloated on Atkins and starving on Nutrisystem. The only thing those diets have in common is that they don't work. At least not more than the few weeks you can stick to them. You know what works? Logging your food and finding some physical activities that you love and can handle doing for the rest of your life! You are on the right track, stay healthy and your body might finally start to treat you a little better as you treat it better. You are doing great!
  • sarah61587
    sarah61587 Posts: 56 Member
    Like everyone else has said, slow and steady is the way to go. When I am having a rough day I kind of have to shut my family out (they either can eat whatever they want and stay tiny or don't care) and come here looking for support. Try not to get too discouraged. You are looking out for your health and your future. You are worth every single second it takes to change, going on a fad diet will not help you learn to be healthy and love yourself. Plus think of all that excess skin...
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    from Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D.

"Because the HCG diet combines injections or supplements of the HCG hormone along with severe calorie restriction, you may lose weight — at least for the short term. But it's the calorie restriction that causes the weight loss, not the HCG."

• dashbeaujippers
    dashbeaujippers Posts: 104 Member
    It is easy to compare yourself to others,we all do it at one point or another, but we should try to remember that fast fixes are just that, fast. And short term, not to mention, stressful on your body. You seem to be doing very well. Just remember, that slow and steady wins the race. We are making life style changes here, not looking for quick fixes. There is no such thing as a quick fix. (You will pay the price later) There is no substitute for good old fashioned hard work. Eating less, moving more, combined with hard work, and determination, will get us there. Keep up the good work, and focus on your own goals. (I try to do the same.)
    Good luck to you, hope tomarrow is not as tough.
    Amie :)
  • I just don't get it. I had to inject that crap into my leg when I went through infertility treatment. It made me gain weight, and I was moody as all get it.

People, it takes time to gain weight, and it takes time to lose it. Everyone wants a quick out. Gosh, it really just makes me sick.

Ok, done ranting.
  • My coworker is on that , as well. She was on it for about 4 weeks and lost a total of 24 lbs and then went off of it while she went on vacation at the end of June. She just started back on it this week, because she had already gained 18 lbs back. Stay encouraged, girl! You are doing it the right way!!! :)
  • My brother in law did this diet & lost 20 lbs in a month. :mad: That was 3 months ago but like any other bad diet, he's already gained it back. He told me about this diet so I went to GNC about 3 wks ago to look at the HCG. Once I found out that u could Only eat 500 cals per day, I knew it wasnt for me. Of course u loose A Lot of weight but ur also starvin urself. I like food too much to Not eat! I too would get frustrated but u just got to forget about ur friend (who will gain it all back in a heart beat) & keep doing what ur doing. :wink:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    I had a hard day at the start as well. It gets better. I have a problem at looking at the number I am suppose to be at and where I am now and it bums me out something fierce. We are all here for you! I'd much rather have you lose weight and be safe then do something that sounds dangerous like HCG.

To preface some of the posts about diet pills:

My Dr started me on Phentermine 37.5mg because I am morbidly obese as he put it. He wanted to me to go on it and create good habits while on it. I had to sign up for a gym and he wants me to eat around 1400 calories a day, I've been having problems with that. I am going to start some protein shakes to hep increase that and I should be able to hit around that number. I lost 20 pounds over 3 weeks some of that I'm sure is the pills, the other part is I have been working my *kitten* off making sure I get to the gym. Today was the first day I had to force myself to leave the gym though. I just loved being there today. I am already looking forward to tomorrow.

I think the pills can be good tools (Not HCG, that just seems like a bad idea period... 500 calories! What if you work out?) but they have to be used correctly. I am having problems with appetite, I called the Dr. and he said to keep on it as he thinks my body will get more and more used to them. I think the key is to make sure that communication is there and make sure you aren't relying on them alone. Which is hard to do anytime you are given a crutch. In the end it's what you do for yourself, because that crutch isn't going to be there forever. I've been grateful for the crutch to get me pushed in the right direction. I don't plan to be on them long. In fact the Dr said 3 to 6 months is max you can be on them. So if you don't form the good habits and surround yourself with good people (You guys!) you are just going to topple once they are taken away.