Tracking shoe mileage - Garmin connect

Options
Anyone using Garmin devices figure out a good way to track shoe mileage when using both trail and road shoes?

I've got my road shoes as my default for running, but picked up trail shoes last night (as my last trail run in road shoes was a bit scary after a rain) and can't find a trail run option for tracking mileage.

I run trail once a week lately (10K) and do the rest of my running (15K-20K) on the street.

Thanks.

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have many shoes so i don't set a default. I just select what ever pair i wear after the workout.

As long as you have all your shoes in the database you can just select the ones you wear after the activity.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Not much of a runner but similar issues with road vs gravel vs mountain. I set the default for road because that's what I do most, and I change it manually when I need to.

I find the info valuable, and not just for when to replace things. How many miles did I get out of different tires or chains or whatever? I even have some of my good friends listed as "gear," I'm doing the Kettle Crest trail, should I invite Jack? Garmin says I haven't done that trail with him, I better see if he can make it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have my long run shoes as my default since that’s what I wore most of the last 2 months of marathon training.

I just use the add/remove gear option on the activity to swap out for the shoes that I wore on shorter runs.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I use Strava for my running shoe mileage tracking, and it's just a simple matter of updating the activity with the correct gear after each run which is 5-10 seconds worth of work through the Android app. I have two pairs of road shoes I rotate plus trail shoes.

It looks like the Garmin Connect app can track in a similar manner. Just add the gear and update the default when you use your trail shoes. I've been using Strava though since it wasn't tied to a device manufacturer.

edit: You can select the type of activity and set it as trail run. I do this within GC when I do trail runs.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Another vote for not setting a default... I usually have three pairs of runners in rotation - I just pick whichever shoes I wore for a particular activity.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Log all of your shoes under gear and check the shoes you used on each recorded run. Garmin Connect will keep track of the miles put on each pair used and checked. Be careful to check if you use a pair other than your "default" pair. After you have logged in each pair, you can go back to prior runs and change to the correct gear. Updating your shoes mileage.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I use Strava for my running shoe mileage tracking, and it's just a simple matter of updating the activity with the correct gear after each run which is 5-10 seconds worth of work through the Android app. I have two pairs of road shoes I rotate plus trail shoes.

It looks like the Garmin Connect app can track in a similar manner. Just add the gear and update the default when you use your trail shoes. I've been using Strava though since it wasn't tied to a device manufacturer.

edit: You can select the type of activity and set it as trail run. I do this within GC when I do trail runs.

See (and I know I didn't say this in my OP) I track in Strava so I need to change it in both when I don't use the default. Plus I use an old pair if I'm on the treadmill (still have some life left).

Just wish the software differentiated trail from road. But oh well.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

See (and I know I didn't say this in my OP) I track in Strava so I need to change it in both when I don't use the default. Plus I use an old pair if I'm on the treadmill (still have some life left).

You can setup different activities in Garmin for each type of running you do. You can then set default shoes for that activity.

FWIW - I rotate thru so many shoes I don't bother with the defaults. I'm used to adding the shoes manually after each run. It eventually becomes a habit.

Edit to add: Assuming your watch supports adding activities.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Do you track your gear in both ecosystems? Or do you mean you have your exercise in both? I have some of my rides in both systems but I only track gear in Garmin Connect.
  • pondee629
    Options
    Anyone using Garmin devices figure out a good way to track shoe mileage when using both trail and road shoes?

I've got my road shoes as my default for running, but picked up trail shoes last night (as my last trail run in road shoes was a bit scary after a rain) and can't find a trail run option for tracking mileage.

I run trail once a week lately (10K) and do the rest of my running (15K-20K) on the street.

Thanks.

The Garmin Connect I log onto does have the ability to differentiate amount Street Running, Trail Running, Track Running, Treadmill Running, et. al. Although I'm now confused, are you looking to track shoe mileage or separate different types of running? In either case, Garmin Connect seems to be able to meet your needs.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Do you track your gear in both ecosystems? Or do you mean you have your exercise in both? I have some of my rides in both systems but I only track gear in Garmin Connect.

Yeah, I'm tracking in both. But really there is no reason to. Just something I do that's probably dumb.
  • Tacklewasher
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I can't seem to define gear for different types of running.

I'm using a Fenix 3HR, so I can set trail running on my watch, and I have.

This is the window I'm looking at.
    33zt3lham1g1.png

I just don't see how I can pick Trail Running and assign shoes to it. (forget the Strava part).
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Thanks.

The Garmin Connect I log onto does have the ability to differentiate amount Street Running, Trail Running, Track Running, Treadmill Running, et. al. Although I'm now confused, are you looking to track shoe mileage or separate different types of running? In either case, Garmin Connect seems to be able to meet your needs.

I'm really wanting to track the shoe mileage separately. I'm not as concerned with the different types of running, but that seems easy. Just that a trail run defaults to my trail shoes so I can track the mileage without having to edit after each run.
  • pondee629
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Thanks.

I'm really wanting to track the shoe mileage separately. I'm not as concerned with the different types of running, but that seems easy. Just that a trail run defaults to my trail shoes so I can track the mileage without having to edit after each run.

I think you're going to have to edit gear after each trail run. Should be the worse thing to happen to you for the rest of your life.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I can't seem to define gear for different types of running.

I'm using a Fenix 3HR, so I can set trail running on my watch, and I have.

This is the window I'm looking at.
    33zt3lham1g1.png

I just don't see how I can pick Trail Running and assign shoes to it. (forget the Strava part).

Yeah. I have road bike shoes with Keo cleats and mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats. Connect recognizes that road and mountain cycling are different activities, but there's no way to set it up to automatically track gear for them.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Maybe the Progress Summary (under reports) could be pressed into service. It can tell you how many miles you've done for a specific activity type since a certain date. But that's probably as much work as tagging them manually.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Oh well. Thought I'd ask.

Hell maybe I'll send Garmin an email.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I track all my workouts in Training Peaks and have it automatically load to Garmin Connect. Not only does TP provide better analysis overall across sports, it also will track equipment. You do have to select what you used but it is a simple pull down within the workout.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And here I am still using SportTracks and it's logging ability - where you do select the activity and equipment separately.
    Now I'm going to have to see if a way to assign equipment to activity for default, though it's really a drop down pick when Garmin sync in occurs.

But I didn't realize GC had expanded that much, which is why I bought SportTracks years ago and all my history is there.

I also don't use GC app - does it really make it easier to select these options than the browser screen shots shown so far?
  • Tacklewasher
    edited November 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I also don't use GC app - does it really make it easier to select these options than the browser screen shots shown so far?

That is where you set the default. In the browser it really isn't hard to change it for an activity. Just a quick drop down, click off the one pair of shoes and click on the other. My problem is more that I may not get home right away and forget to make the change, then my mileage is off for both pairs of shoes.

It's not really a big deal.