Weighing Starbucks Foods

Options
Has anyone ever took a scale to some of their food items? It came to mind to really glance at the nutrition facts and the weight caught my eye.

Examples:
Blueberry Oatmeal says 220c for 90g.
But the whole thing feels more than 200g. Also, adding the ingredients up individually brings it to about 300-400 calories.

Spinach egg wrap says 280c for 159g. It definitely feels like it's over 200g.

Maybe it's just all in my head.
I'll try taking a scale to it next time.

Replies

• AvesArdens
    AvesArdens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ex-partner - every serving is prepackaged. I would log the oatmeal packet and the add ons individually. Starbucks oatmeal, starbucks blueberries, starbucks nut and seed packets, etc. There is a little variation but all the sbux partners do is take it out of the package and pop it in the convection oven or add hot water so it should be fairly standardized.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    AvesArdens wrote: »
    Ex-partner - every serving is prepackaged. I would log the oatmeal packet and the add ons individually. Starbucks oatmeal, starbucks blueberries, starbucks nut and seed packets, etc. There is a little variation but all the sbux partners do is take it out of the package and pop it in the convection oven or add hot water so it should be fairly standardized.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! You put my mind at ease. :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    I wish I could bring a scale with me and I have half a mind to do so. No idea how exact the baked goods are. I end up logging 1.2 of a scone, for example.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can buy some at your regular Starbucks and bring home to weigh?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    firefoxxie wrote: »
    Has anyone ever took a scale to some of their food items? It came to mind to really glance at the nutrition facts and the weight caught my eye.

Examples:
    But the whole thing feels more than 200g. Also, adding the ingredients up individually brings it to about 300-400 calories.

wow, you can feel what 90g and 200g feels like? impressive!
    You can develop a feel for weight. I've eaten so many Lean Cuisines that I can feel when one's heavier than normal for that flavor.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Examples:

I mean, I know offhand that 90gm is a quarter of a pound, and 200 is a little less than half, but I don’t know I’d be able to tell between them at random.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Examples:

You can develop a feel for weight. I've eaten so many Lean Cuisines that I can feel when one's heavier than normal for that flavor.

i'm pretty good at eyeballing stuff like cheese/meat/peanut butter after years of weighing, but doing it by feel i cant imagine!
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »

Sorry, I wasn't literally talking about bringing a scale with me to starbucks. I ment weighing it at home. :p
  • lkpducky
    Options

Hopefully the weight is consistent from scone to scone - else I'd have to get all my scones to go. You're right though.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Sorry, I wasn't literally talking about bringing a scale with me to starbucks. I ment weighing it at home. :p

Lol. Going to Starbucks. Putting a scale up and asking baristas to hand out items so you can weigh them. And then just walk out :smiley:
  • lkpducky
    edited October 2018
    Options

Lol. Going to Starbucks. Putting a scale up and asking baristas to hand out items so you can weigh them. And then just walk out :smiley:

"please can i have a scone? if you could just place it on here... no, wait for it to say 0..."

*look at weight

"great, thanks, bye!"
    https://tenor.com/view/roadrunner-meepmeep-looney-tunes-bye-seeyalater-gif-11203782
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you want to know, it really wouldn't be noticeable if you weighed it with a mini scale at your table, especially if you also are unpacking a laptop, mouse etc. The scale would be pretty much hidden under the plate/behind the laptop if self-conscious.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have a very nice small purse size scale I got on Amazon for <$20 that works well for things like this. No shame in my weighing game! Lol
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Examples:

I mean, I know offhand that 90gm is a quarter of a pound, and 200 is a little less than half, but I don’t know I’d be able to tell between them at random.

A quarter pound is 113.5. 90 grams is slightly over 7 oz. Not a huge distinction, but with some calorie dense items, it can be significant.