Any hot protein shake recipes?

Options
sheloves89
sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
Hullo!

I'm a long time MFP user, but never been really serious about it til lately, and I've never said anything on the forums before, so hello. =)

Anyhoo, I am vegetarian and I struggle to get enough protein into my diet, so I've gone back to having a morning protein shake. I buy Elevation-Vanilla (from Aldi). I blend it with 5 ice cubes and half a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it's really good - thick and creamy and very satisfying. =)

But it's getting cold in the mornings now, and I'd rather not drink a cold shake in the morning... does anyone have any suggestions for warm protein shake drinks? (Ideally ones that don't contain coffee or caffeinated tea - I'm also on a caffeine detox! =) Week three and going strong...)

Thanks so much, y'all!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee and protein?
    Warm milk and protein (kinda like hot chocolate)

Those are the only 2 liquids I can justify warming up with protein powder
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Experiment, but do the warming slowly or you will get a nasty lumpy surprise.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I use isopure cookies and cream and mix with coffee - decaf will work. I just started my 5th week caffeine free!!!!

It makes a nice protein latte. I am sure the vanilla would make a nice creamy coffee

Oh, I blend in my ninja blender - no lumps
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

I've tried warming the milk, adding in a healthy dash of pumpkin pie seasoning, and then blending it with the protein powder and it's very, very good that way.

I think I'll probably never go back to do anything but blending my protein shakes... the blender just makes such a huge difference in texture, and I never have any lumps anymore!
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    I just started my 5th week caffeine free!!!!

Congrats! =]

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I used to sometimes use it as sweetener in my oatmeal. Not a drink, though, so probably not what you're looking for.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I found the hard way that my blender makes a mess if I use hot milk in it, so I make a regular shake in the blender with cold unsweetened almond milk and whey protein powder and then warm it in the microwave. Chocolate powder or vanilla; bananas or frozen fruit sometimes. For Mexican Hot Chocolate, along with the chocolate whey I add some vanilla extract, cinnamon, a pinch of salt, a little sugar if you must, and just to taste, a bit of chili powder or cayenne powder. Using protein powder is the only way I can get enough protein; I'm primarily a vegetarian, but I will eat some chicken or fish occasionally; guess that makes me a flexitarian?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Not to change the course of this thread, but I am curious why most people seem to use almond milk over cow's milk in their protein smoothies (even with whey protein). Does it blend better or taste better? I have never actually tried it, so I am curious.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Not to change the course of this thread, but I am curious why most people seem to use almond milk over cow's milk in their protein smoothies (even with whey protein). Does it blend better or taste better? I have never actually tried it, so I am curious.

Unsweetened Almond milk seems to lasts longer in the refrigerator than whole milk; I think it it tastes better; it has fewer calories, and contains no saturated fat or cholesterol. It’s good source of vitamins A and D, and is naturally lactose free. Cashew milk is super delicious too, and there are almond-cashew blends, if you can find them. Alternative milks seem to blend just as well as regular milk.

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

It blends just as well, and has far fewer calories. The main downside is no significant amount of protein. If you want the milk to have protein, you've gotta use dairy or soy or one of the pea protein based milks (ripple for example, although there are others as well) -- but that comes at the cost of more calories.