Calorie deficit help!?!

Options
So my maitanence calories are about 2100 and I burn roughly 1600-1800 on training/rest days and about 2000ish playing football once/twice a week. With a body recomp my surplus be 200 more 3 times at week (training days) but have no idea on my other 4 days how many calories to eat for the deficit? TIA

Replies

• RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I literally have no idea what you are trying to ask.

Your talking about trying to find a surplus, deficit and doing a recomp all in the same sentence...?

Someone may be able to come along and offer you some advice if you could clarify what you are trying to achieve.

:blush:

• crystalsizer96
    crystalsizer96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Correct me if im wrong, but i thought a recomp was a calorie surplus on training days and deficit on non training days? Just want to know how many calories less I should eat when not training? Hope this makes sense
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Correct me if im wrong, but i thought a recomp was a calorie surplus on training days and deficit on non training days? Just want to know how many calories less I should eat when not training? Hope this makes sense

People doing a recomp typically eat maintenance calories each day. If you're burning a different amount of calories on different days, you can either average it out and eat the same amount each day (the TDEE method) or you can use MFP's method and eat a base number of calories based on your non-exercise energy needs and then log your exercise and eat those calories back each day.

If you want to eat a calorie surplus on some days and a deficit on training days, you can do that too. You'll just need to figure out how much of a deficit you want to eat and subtract that from the calories you're estimating you're using on training days. I'm not sure what the point of this way of eating would be though. Is there something specific it is supposed to accomplish?
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Lean gains programme might help you with what you’re trying to achieve. It will help with calculations to cycle calories for you with higher calories in work out days and lower calories on other days with an overall deficit (so you’ll hopefully maintain/ maybe gain a little muscle and lose fat). If you are strictly trying to gain then you need a calorie surplus, if you just want to drop weight and aren’t concerned about body composition then just eat at a consistent deficit.
  • crystalsizer96
    crystalsizer96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, they have really helped 😁