water

Options
i have noticed that the nights i work (overnight shifts) i drink NO water...the days i am home that is all i drink, besides my morning coffee. I HAVE to get better at drinking water on my overnight shifts. If i drink diet lipton ice tea does that count? trying to stay up all night at work, i need caffeine so any ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Water is water. Nothing else counts as water.
  • leezanicole
    Options
    Thats kind of how I am. Whenever I work til 10pm I don't drink too much water because I don't want to have to go to the bathroom all night. If I work in the morning I drink water all day! I guess you could try to drink most of your water while you are still at home on the nights you have to work overnight. When I worked overnight I drank a lot of soda.. maybe you could drink water then drink the ice tea.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    is the diet tea in the powder form you put in water bottles? Just curious xD
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No there are lots of things that water is in. pop, don't count as water. tea, coffee, yes. Just use your judgement with what makes sense. At work, we had a Dr. come in all day and talk about health and nutrition, and he made a point to say that there is a lot of water in many foods and other drinks that we forget about. So we're getting more water than we think. Plus it is possible to drink too much water.

Also, if we just drink down 6 cups of water at once, most of it goes through our bladder and doesn't do what it's supposed to. I thought though, that when you drink enough water, it works better to keep you alert and awake than caffeine?
  • laumar3012
    Options

yes it is, its liption diet peach iced tea, and it comes in raspberry too
  • ajbsmom
    ajbsmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I used to be a mt dew drinker for my caffine. Since I have limited my soda and caffine I changed my multivitamin to include caffine. One-a-day with Energy multivitamin helps me. I have been taking it at lunch instead of my old habit of mt dew. It is helping me with the afternoon/after lunch sleepiness. Remember it took a week or so to get used to limited caffine. Hang in there, you may need to ease into it.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Water is water. Nothing else counts as water.

This is completely false.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

This counts as water intake since you're drinking water. I'm not sure of the caffeine content in the tea you mentioned but if you drink too much caffeine, you suppress vasopressin which is the anti-diuretic hormone. That means you'll end up peeing more as your body is changing your water balance levels. This can disrupt your electrolyte balance as well. Regardless, it still counts as water but you should try to match the amount of tea you drink with normal water and you should also make sure you get enough fruits since they contain water in them and especially if your caffeine intake is high because fruits also contain electrolytes.
  • laumar3012
    Options

This counts as water intake since you're drinking water. I'm not sure of the caffeine content in the tea you mentioned but if you drink too much caffeine, you suppress vasopressin which is the anti-diuretic hormone. That means you'll end up peeing more as your body is changing your water balance levels. This can disrupt your electrolyte balance as well. Regardless, it still counts as water but you should try to match the amount of tea you drink with normal water and you should also make sure you get enough fruits since they contain water in them and especially if your caffeine intake is high because fruits also contain electrolytes.

thanks for the info! yeah, i am only talking like one or two glasses in a 13 hour overnight shift. I need SOMETHING other than plain water while i am there, and i dont want to waste calories on drinks