LOW - NO Carb foods?! HELP!

Options
I am beginning this diet with advice from my physician. We agreed to try a 1800 calorie and 45g of carbs/ day and under diet. How do you eat 45 carbs and under and get enough calories? Today was my first day successfully under my carb goal but I only consumed 487 calories! Any advice or snacks etc to help me intake a few more calories without going over my carbs would be very helpful.

Replies

• LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When i did my VERY low carb I basically lived on tuna fish, egg whites, and chicken...No fun
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein and fats. Nuts are high calorie and low carb, I love raw almonds! Cheese is also calorie dense and delicious.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    calories come from 3 basic places,

carbs
    fats
    proteins

find things that are high in fat and/or protein and you should be able to find your calories :)

nuts, meats, cheese
  • shassen
    shassen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yup, protein and fats only.. lots of meat and raw nuts
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on here said she limits herself to 20g of carbs a day and I've been wondering ever since HOW would you do that? just eat meat & salad? my carbs are lower than oh, say a year ago but still higher than I want and I'm TRYING TO WATCH IT! Is there a book or something?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    OOH! You need to eat more D:

cheese, chicken, tuna, beef, cocnut, olive oil, coconut oil.

Cook everything in oil xD

good luck with constipation :O
  • julielaine
    Options
    thx for the advice!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Nuts, cheese, olives, peanut butter, protein, avocado.....
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When i did my VERY low carb I basically lived on tuna fish, egg whites, and chicken...No fun

Yup! is not fun,,,, but it worth it, i did the same
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Are we talking Atkins?
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Look up the South Beach Diet, The GI Diet, I think another one is Good Carbs Bad Carbs. More about healthy eating then actually making it seem like Carbs are the EVIL magic that makes you gain weight.
    (I have read through the Atkins diet and it seems like it has turned in to EAT OUR PRODUCTS rather then eat real food so I really dont like it)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cottage and other types of cheese, drizzle some Olive Oil or other healthy fat on non-starchy vegetables, avocado, Greek yogurt (not the nonfat - it's higher in carbs). You don't have to limit yourself to egg-whites - the whole egg is no-carb although I occasionally see eggs that say there are 2gm carbs. As has already been said, nuts are good.

Good luck!
  • julielaine
    Options
    Not Atkins, they start people on only 20 carbs a day. Im started out on 45. Which thinking about 20 actually makes me want to be thankful i have the 45! LOL .. I am already learning so much! I assumed I could eat veggies to my hearts content, not so! Who knew even cabbage had carbs!? This is definately going to take alot of research with trial and error. Wish me luck!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Remember that it's net carbs that ultimately count. So, subtract your fiber from total carbs to get the net carb amount. I eat a LOT of veggies and my net stays under 50g a day quite easily.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    remember good fats are energy! :--)
    nuts and seeds are the best carbs, and veggies are good carbs, and lean meats and low sugar fruits. <<<<< All ya need!
    good luck!

>>> THE PALEO DIET (aka cave man diet) explains how humans should (and did) eat before processing. (no dairy either--its gross anyway LOL
  • UrmySS1997
    Options
    I tried an EAS low carb protein shake, dark chocolate, and it was pretty good. 150 calories.:smile::smile:
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Ages ago when I did Atkins diet, which I don't fully agree with, they book for that had loads of recipes, the first 2 weeks you are only 20g of carbs a day or less so while you might not want to follow the atkins diet, look it up for recipes and food ideas for low carbs.