eating almonds--- good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I love almonds, they do taste effin great, and they provide a lot of essential nutrients, but honestly, they have got to be the most overhyped, "health" food out there. Personally, I prefer to snack on foods that are NOT more calorically dense than chocolates and have a better Omega fats ratio...

Omega 6/3 ratio of various nuts:
    English Walnuts 4:1
    Macadamia is 6:1
    Black Walnuts are 16:1
    Pecans are 20:1
    Pistachio is 37:1
    Hazelnut is 88:1
    Cashew is 117:1
    Pumpkin Seeds 117:1
    Sunflower Seeds 300:1
    Pine Nuts are 300:1
    Brazil Nut is 1000:1
    Almonds 1800:1
    CA Avocados 15:1
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    i don't eat whole almonds because my system finds nuts hard to digest. So right now I drink almond milk. (no added sugar.) Any other ideas?
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    Almonds are one of the best foods you can eat. They are high in protein and other nutrients and fiber. They really take the edge off my hunger for a mid-afteroon snack along with a small piece of fruit. 1 oz is about 20 almonds or about 180 calories. Check the MFP on this but this is about right. So you have to actually COUNT out the number you eat and eat the appropriate amount and put the jar away. Otherwise if you eat too many the calorie count gets very high. But yes, eat almonds and other nuts but watch portion control. And wait 20minutes after you are done eating your small handful of nuts and you will notice they kill hunger pains.
  • zetsubou
    zetsubou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All nuts and seeds are good for you~ But I can't buy them, once I have a pack in my hands I eat all of it, I have no will when it comes to nuts or ice cream ;D
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'll take a natural food that IS nutritionally dense naturally over a concoction of ingredients and artificial flavourings any day
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Hmm I think I need to buy some almonds :)
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I add about a tablespoon of sliced almonds to my spinach and goat cheese salads with my mandarin oranges just about everyday. I also love to grab a quick half a handful of them just before or after my workouts of almonds or sunflower seeds! YUM!
  • GoddessAndraste
    Options
    I love almonds, but have to be careful because of my jaw issues (TMJ). Currently snacking on pistachios. Been adding sunflower seeds to my salads lately. It's a nice way for some crunch without the empty calories of croutons. I love cashews and walnuts, and like most other ones, except pecans. Don't care for those.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Good. I am a quarter-owner of my family's almond ranch in Northern CA, and I thank you all for your patronage. Seriously, it's a great food, nutritionally dense and delicious. Eat up, as long as you keep your portion sizes small and it fits into your daily calories.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Almonds and walnuts - good in moderation - I always have a little container in my handbag for when I get hungry and I need to eat something.....

Just understand the portion sizes - for almonds I work on 10 being a portion....and yes make sure it is the raw ones - not salted or roasted.....

Almond milk is also pretty good