Jerky recipes

DoubleUbea
DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
Every jerky recipe I find uses soy sauce or teriyaki. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on how to prepare jerky. Beef, pork, turkey, chicken ideas are all good, but I want another flavor besides soy.

I will be using a convection oven at low heat to make my jerky

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Google biltong. South African version flavoured with coriander and vinegar and sliced thin after dehydration.
  • DoubleUbea
    Thank you, I looked it up and it sounds very interesting, I don't know if I can let it sit for a few days but I would still try it in a low and slow oven.
  • DoubleUbea
    What is the purpose of using bicarbonate of soda? Is it to tenderize the meat or does it have another purpose?
  • acpgee
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    What is the purpose of using bicarbonate of soda? Is it to tenderize the meat or does it have another purpose?
    I've never used soda for biltong. Haven't made it for a while but remember vinegar and dried coriander and salt to be the main flavourings. I use soda for air fried chicken wings because lowering the pH is supposed to crisp up the skin. I do my biltong in a dehydrator but would definitely turn on the fan in a very low oven.

• acpgee
    This is a good biltong primer. Apparently some recipes contain bicarb which acts as a tenderizer. But you apparently need to be careful with quantity as it has an unpleasant taste. Also I read it is not needed if you use a good cut such as topside (UK cut of roasting beef). I haven't made it for a while but will do one in the dehydrator on the weekend. It's marinating now. When I bring it into the office it makes me very popular with South African colleagues because it is extortionate to buy ready made (as is the case with jerky).

http://www.greedyferret.com/perfect-biltong-recipe-south-african-beef-jerky
  • DoubleUbea
    Thank you
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Loved that greedyferret biltong link. I'd love to try something like that. You may have just inspired me to give it a go ;)
  • DoubleUbea
    edited November 2018
    acpgee wrote: »
    This is a good biltong primer....

Thank you, @acpgee I finally gave a quick and dirty version of this idea a try. Soaked the meat in red wine vinegar and garlic overnight, sprinkled it with ground coriander seeds, dried it in a low and slow convection oven. I like the way it came out, I will expand on this and try to make it more traditional in the future.

Thank you again for the idea.