One day?

Options
Perhaps I am misinformed, my trainer friend (who I thought I heard correctly) said that when you're on a diet, that ONE day a week you can pretty much eat whatever you want, and it doesn't affect anything....I am skeptical :noway:

This article is telling me, ya, go have that *insert craving here*.. :devil:
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-importance-of-having-one-cheat-day-when-dieting.html

But then I also read this, reasons why I shouldn't even consider doing the one-day thing.. :explode:
http://www.hivehealthmedia.com/diet-cheat-day-dangerous-weight-loss-health/

What are your opinions on this topic?

Replies

• inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    i have cheat days and still lose weight
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Well, a cheat day doesn't mean "time to eat everything I can get my hands on".
    You still have to exercise some control. Keep the weekly totals around your weight-loss range. That can be accomplished with exercise and good planning.

I allow myself to cheat once a week.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Not accurate, however if you have a deficit of say 600 calories a day for 6 days that equals to 3600 deficit, if you on the 7th day go over your expenditure by say 1000 which will represent a rather large meal, you're still in deficit for over 2600 and you will lose weight over the course of the week.
  • mommy2b2
    mommy2b2 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have had 1 cheat day each week since I started 6 months ago. It seems to work for me.
  • AZBob1956
    AZBob1956 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cheat days are good but don't go off the deep end. Weight Watchers describes cheat days as a day you can eat double.
  • karenzephyr
    Options
    I figure if on my cheat days I stay between my caloric intake goal 1450 and what they list as my caloric intake to just maintain-2450 then I'm golden.
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel that the idea of a "cheat day" is kinda stupid. It makes eating non-healthy food sound sneaky and seem like a really bad thing. Today i had had a chocolate milkshake and it was awesome and I was still under my calorie goal. Everything is cool in moderation.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I wasn't planning on shoving every piece of food I see in my mouth, I am going out to dinner with a friend, but I know I'll be in a deficit of about 500 calories based on my favorite meal there. I was just curious if I needed to make sure I maintained my exercise deficit or there was some sort of magical calorie absorber hidden somewhere that just counteracted all the delicious badness of my meal.. (and no i don't actually think that exists)

Thanks guys, I feel slightly more informed.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's more like.. every day you eat healthy foods like fruits and veggies within your calorie limit.. and one day a week you can eat like a cheese burger and ice cream as long as it's under your limit.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I figure if on my cheat days I stay between my caloric intake goal 1450 and what they list as my caloric intake to just maintain-2450 then I'm golden.

That's kinda what I am trying to do on my cheat days, but I've actually gone over my maintenance on cheat days so far.