Carbs & sugar vs optavia

Options
Is it better to watch carbs & sugar too lose weight or do optavia?

Replies

• penny03681
    penny03681 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So watch what i eat. Be healthy about it and not do optavia (shakes, bars & eat every 2 to 3 hrs)?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I don't like to drink my nutrition honestly. I had to look this medifast up. Looks expensive and non sustainable long term. If you must absolutely drink your nutrition. Why not make your own. Good quality protein, some frozen berries and some frozen spinch/kale. Ect....
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens when you eat fewer calories than your body burns. You do not need any special bars or shakes to accomplish that. Simply “watching what you eat” will not ensure that you take in fewer calories than you burn. The best way to ensure this is to weigh and log all your food.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Shakes and bars are generally not going to be as satisfying/filling for the calories as actual food - which makes them pretty counter-productive for losing weight IMO. They can be a good alternative if you eat on the run and find yourself grabbing higher calorie stuff like fast food or chips, but otherwise you can find a lot of things that will be much more enjoyable, filling, satisfying for the calories.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Or eat the appropriate amount of calories, everyday. Food you like to eat. Buy a food scale.

This ^^
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Real food mostly, less of it, enough of what you love to stay sane, a bit more movement - that is all. You don't have to give up anything or take anything weird. It's really just math. Plain, old boring math.
  • penny03681
    penny03681 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I need to get on track without spending the additional money
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    penny03681 wrote: »
    Is it better to watch carbs & sugar too lose weight or do optavia?

I think what is better is to find an eating plan that works for the rest of your life. Why? to avoid the risk of yo-yo dieting.

there are a million and one stories about weight loss , weight gain, weight loss again, weight gain again - it's hard to argue with the idea that a regular everyday plan of eating sufficient calories. Pick a daily calorie goal, get a food scale, and weigh every single thing you eat, so you don't mistakenly eat more than planned.

drinking meals is boring quickly - you will soon miss the sensation of chewing things, and, as another poster said - the risk of overconsuming calories is a real risk. The sense of fullness is not the same from a liquid meal as is gotten from solid food.

and , meals in a can are EXPENSIVE.

good luck to you!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh by grams. It makes a huge difference. Most entries in the database you can find one with gram measurements.

Anyone got that video showing how much difference it can make handy to post so OP can get off on the right foot?
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I was on optavia a long time ago (was called medifast at the time), and it worked just as well as anything else for losing weight, if you're okay drinking most of your calories. However, it's both expensive and transition to maintenance is rather difficult. They have a plan, but it's a much larger shift than just adjusting your calories up 250-500 as would be more common in a standard calorie counting approach.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Find a sustainable way for YOU to eat at a caloric deficit. I'd suggest you learn how to eat to lose weight and later to maintain your weight.
    You can eat what you like and weigh your food and count your calories.
    You can reduce your carbs and sugar (which may help YOU with staying on track) and count your calories. You can use shakes and bars.
    The question I would ask: which of those approaches teaches YOU how to maintain your weight loss after you've lost the weight?
    For me it would NOT be the shakes and bars. Sure, I have some around. I use them when I need a snack, or need to eat on the go but they aren't the BASIS for my eating plan.

Because lets be real: losing weight is simple. Keeping it off is the actual goal.

Good luck.