Inadvertently bulking

Options
So, I've been in maintenance for about a year and a half. I've been on the fence about running bulk/cut cycles or just doing a long term recomp for a while. I was driving myself crazy so I quit logging my food about 2.5 months ago to give myself a break. I've still been lifting. Well over these last 2.5 months I've gained about 3 pounds. My waist measurement hasn't changed. I think I may be slowly bulking without really trying. Can I just keep doing it this way or is it inefficient? I really don't want to calorie count again. I figure I will go back to logging/tracking in the spring and go on a cut. What do you guys think? I definitely don't want to lose control and gain too much too fast.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Is it inefficient? Maybe. Nobody knows how you respond to training or your stats.

Three pounds in two & months is not too much for any age group, weight class, if your are a sensitive or resistant responder to training. Is it too little? We don't have sufficient info to answer that question.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't have to calorie count to lose, maintain or gain weight - it's a useful tool but not a compulsory tool.
    If you don't like logging and tracking now why would you go back to it in Spring?

Can't comment on your goals and situation as they aren't clear apart from guessing that if you want to gain weight very slowly then you are doing that successfully. If you don't want to gain weight then eat a bit less.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    What I mean is, is running a lean bulk without logging food going to be effective? I try to be mindful and make sure I eat plenty of protein but I'm not tracking it. I had to log food to lose weight and to maintain weight loss, so not tracking sometimes makes me feel like I'm out of control. And is gaining about 1lb/ month a good rate?
    I figure since I've been on the fence about running a bulk and now that I quit logging and gained weight without freaking out about the weight gain that I'll just go with it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What I mean is, is running a lean bulk without logging food going to be effective? I try to be mindful and make sure I eat plenty of protein but I'm not tracking it. I had to log food to lose weight and to maintain weight loss, so not tracking sometimes makes me feel like I'm out of control. And is gaining about 1lb/ month a good rate?
    I figure since I've been on the fence about running a bulk and now that I quit logging and gained weight without freaking out about the weight gain that I'll just go with it.

I've run two bulks without tracking (I do have really good macro/calorie awareness though) I just make sure I'm getting enough protein and plot my trend weight to make sure I'm not gaining too much too fast (which for me was ~ 2lbs per month). 1lb per month is great, very lean bulk. As long as your workout programming is consistent and adequate, and you are happy with your rate of gain and what you are gaining, go for it.
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    So, I've been in maintenance for about a year and a half. I've been on the fence about running bulk/cut cycles or just doing a long term recomp for a while. I was driving myself crazy so I quit logging my food about 2.5 months ago to give myself a break. I've still been lifting. Well over these last 2.5 months I've gained about 3 pounds. My waist measurement hasn't changed. I think I may be slowly bulking without really trying. Can I just keep doing it this way or is it inefficient? I really don't want to calorie count again. I figure I will go back to logging/tracking in the spring and go on a cut. What do you guys think? I definitely don't want to lose control and gain too much too fast.

I'd say if you're happy with what's happening, don't overthink it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not sure strangers can resolve your conflict between fear of losing control versus the desire not to log.
    It's just a tool to help you meet your desired calories and macros - which you appear to be doing without logging.
    I'm really not seeing a problem that you need to fix right now so why not carry on?

Maybe when the time comes to cut you can do that without logging too, that would be a small dietary change to switch from gaining very slowly to losing slowly.