First powerlifting comp

Options
First powerlifting comp coming up in a few days. I’m doing all the usual stuff, following my coach’s instructions, resting well etc. Any sage advice from the experienced lifters out there? Any tips you wished you knew for your first meet?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The biggest thing for me was just making sure I hit the referee's verbal commands. That's difficult to do, even if you've been practicing before hand.

Shredded by Science has an awesome podcast about things you need to know for your first powerlifting meet, if you do podcasts.
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bring more food than you think, depending on the meet size you could be there all day.

Bring food that's easy on the stomach and you know you'll handle well. Salt and carbs are your friends on meet day. Don't worry too much about protein.

Pay attention to when your flight is lifting, and plan your warmups accordingly. If possible get practice in with the person giving you a handoff during bench.

The nerves are the worst on your squat opener, it gets better after that!

Mostly just try to relax and have fun!

May your squats be deep and your lights be white!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks. I’ll check it out. That is one of the things which concerns me. Been practicing but hope the nerves / adrenaline on the day don’t stop me listening!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    RMaxwell90 wrote: »
    Bring more food than you think, depending on the meet size you could be there all day.

Bring food that's easy on the stomach and you know you'll handle well. Salt and carbs are your friends on meet day. Don't worry too much about protein.

Pay attention to when your flight is lifting, and plan your warmups accordingly. If possible get practice in with the person giving you a handoff during bench.

Dude. Truth!
  • gcpower
    gcpower Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bring your headphones and your everyday workout music. I was very nervous as well, but once I started warming up with the music I listen to day in and day out it might as well have been another day at the gym.

Don't expect to have a perfect warm-up. You will probably have to work-in with others, start earlier or later than anticiapted, and lift a bit heavier or a bit lighter for convenience sake. Prepare to be flexible, and most importantly get the best warm-up in that you can.

Enjoy the meet!
  • claireychn074
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Kind of excited and terrified!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Kind of excited and terrified!

I’m excited for you! Have a wonderful time and good luck!
  • Bellavita32
    Bellavita32 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Wow Thats awesome!! How much do you lift??
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    no advice but good luck, and most of all, have fun!!!
  • claireychn074
    Options
    Wow Thats awesome!! How much do you lift??

Oh not very much, been lifting for just over a year and have various injuries which slow me down. My squat hasn’t progressed in a while. I weigh 54kg, and I’m going for 65kg squat (ambitious), 40kg bench and 90kg dl. Should be fine for the last two at least!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Since your coached you're covered under advice.

My first meet was pretty successful breaking a state record in my age/class and going 9/9. Other then leaving weight on the pkatform, there isn't much I would change.

One hiccup is I forgot to report my joint disease(causes alot of swelling) to head judge before my first attempt squatting. Some days it's hard to at least appear to lock knees out. The judge wouldn't give me the squat command at first.

Eat/drink what you usually consumeaND hopefully easily digestible(save enery) during training but might want to bring salty things to help keep weight up as well as electrolytes.

All in all just enjoy yourself. It's a one time experience and many simular ones to come hopefully. Bury your first squat and kick *kitten*!

• PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Have fun!!! Its the best kind of terror. The biggest thing I wish I had done was go lighter on my first squat attempt. My knees were actually shaking and the worry that I'd miss the squat really sapped a lot of my energy.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    RMaxwell90 wrote: »

Dude. Truth!

Yes so much truth in here, but this is the worst. I've done 3 nationals and I still get crazy nerves until I've passed my first squat.

PB&J is my go to meet day food along with gatorade/pedialyte oreos, and skittles, but I'm 6 on the inside.
  • claireychn074
    Options
    PB definitely - I’m in the UK so we don’t have jelly, but I’m going for Lucozade sport and Monster. And flapjack!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Another wishing you luck.

Would love if you reported back with your experience.

UK version is on and jam. :)

Cheers, h.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    That sounds fantastic! Congrats! I'm glad you had a good time of it. Would love to see that look on your face. :o

:D
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yayy! Thanks for all the good wishes guys. Smashed two pbs - went from 85kg on dl to 92.5, 38 on bench to 40 and equalled my squat at 62.5. I have a massive mental block with my squat so I am soooo chuffed I equalled it. The dl was awesome, got a pb on the second lift then went on again and got the 92.5. The vid footage shows me looking really shocked as I lifted it! Technique was poor but I can work on that! 😀

Nice job!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Your post sounds so happy. Well done on all your lifts.

Cheers, h.