Fat VS Muscle

Options
1# Of fat = 1 # of Muscle A pound is A Pound AA

Replies

• tarekhamouda7445
    tarekhamouda7445 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You mean you can't tell through the scale? I have one shirt that I call the scale shirt, I use it only to compare scale to fit, if it fits more and the scale doesn't move, I know it's muscle and vice versa
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im lost
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle does indeed weigh a pound of fat. But a pound of fat takes up way more room in your body then a pound of muscle! Think of it like comparing a pound of cotton balls to a pound of rock. You need a lot of cotton balls to equal one pound.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,987 Member
    Options
    By that logic, a pound of arsenic = a pound of potatoes. So it shouldn't matter which one you eat.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/muscle-versus-fat/

this has a fun "try this at home" section to illustrate the lesson.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    The pound of fat provides more energy. The pound of muscle consumes more energy.

Who wants to guess which you should try to burn and which you should try to build? :smiley:
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The pound of fat provides more energy. The pound of muscle consumes more energy.

Who wants to guess which you should try to burn and which you should try to build? :smiley:

A pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day at rest. A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day at rest. Figure out how much muscle you'd need to gain to make any significant difference in RMR, and how long it would take to gain that muscle.

The first half of what I said can be more important. When you lose at too fast of a rate and start losing more muscle, every pound of muscle provides less energy than a pound of fat. So if you are getting 10% of the energy to cover your deficit from muscle, it will be closer to 15% by weight.
  • eleftheria1971
    eleftheria1971 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you held up 20 Lbs of fat and 5 Lbs of muscle at an even level and dropped them simultaneously, which one would hit the ground first?

Neither, assuming my dogs are underfoot as always.

Yikes and LOL at the same time :))