Not really weight loss question; skin rashes

Options
Hi all.

I have such a weird question. Does anyone know if human scabies is contagious to cats?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Technically yes but it’s brief as human Scabies cannot breed once on nonhumans. Same with animal versions on humans. So they shouldn’t need treatment as they will die quickly on their own.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Technically yes but it’s brief as human Scabies cannot breed once on nonhumans. Same with animal versions on humans. So they shouldn’t need treatment as they will die quickly on their own.

Thank you. I’m not very familiar with animal versions of scabies and couldn’t find a definitive asnwer through google. Thanks to the nature of our jobs and the “fantastic” areas we work in, my female significant other was exposed to them and is on a prophylaxis treatment for them. I know they are highly contagious between humans, and although she has no signs/symptoms, we are still being really careful just in case. I know she is no longer contagious several hours after treatment, if she even got them, but just wanted to make sure our fuzzy friends are safe.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I'm glad everyone turned out happy and healthy, worms aside. I work with animals and, believe me, you're not the only one to wash everything when worms turn up. :)

Enjoy the new kitten!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Update: She luckily never got symptoms. We have completely changed all sheets in the house just in case. Since she never had symptoms, myself, male SO and toddler didn’t need treatment. Also brought fuzzy friends to vet (not because of the question but just in general since we added the new kitten). Vet assured me that there was absolutely no signs of scabies or fleas (concern since kitten came from shelter) on either cat. We did have to deworm them again though because the kitten had diarrhea and worm eggs in the fecal sample. Because of that, two nights ago I shampooed all the carpets, washed all linen, and sofa cushion covers. My SOs think I went over board, but since the toddler touches everything and kitten is everywhere, I didn’t want to take any chances. I can be really paranoid about that sort of thing.

When it comes to infections or parasites, I'm always going to err on the side of "Wash everything you can." That goes double for when there are toddlers or babies around, they're always putting everything in their mouths as they explore the world.

At the very least, you got some peace of mind and a nice clean house going into a busy time of year . . .
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I'm glad everyone turned out happy and healthy, worms aside. I work with animals and, believe me, you're not the only one to wash everything when worms turn up. :)

Enjoy the new kitten!
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Update: She luckily never got symptoms. We have completely changed all sheets in the house just in case. Since she never had symptoms, myself, male SO and toddler didn’t need treatment. Also brought fuzzy friends to vet (not because of the question but just in general since we added the new kitten). Vet assured me that there was absolutely no signs of scabies or fleas (concern since kitten came from shelter) on either cat. We did have to deworm them again though because the kitten had diarrhea and worm eggs in the fecal sample. Because of that, two nights ago I shampooed all the carpets, washed all linen, and sofa cushion covers. My SOs think I went over board, but since the toddler touches everything and kitten is everywhere, I didn’t want to take any chances. I can be really paranoid about that sort of thing.

When it comes to infections or parasites, I'm always going to err on the side of "Wash everything you can." That goes double for when there are toddlers or babies around, they're always putting everything in their mouths as they explore the world.

At the very least, you got some peace of mind and a nice clean house going into a busy time of year . . .

Glad to know I’m not being totally unreasonable. I’ve cleaned so much this week I should take out stock in Clorox and resolve lol.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Definitely not over board. If I so much as suspect my two of having fleas I douse them in flea treatment and clean the house to within an inch of its life. Then the hoover gets a wash. Same goes for worms. All those critters make my excezma flare up so I just want to destroy them :lol: