Nasty gas coming out of my back side ....HELP

I have been on a great streak with working out and eating good. But I have some serious gas that is to the point of embarrassing and is keeping me locked in my house. Could it be the whey protein (Gold Standard double chocolate) that I take post workout? I also am not maxing out my protein, so not sure if its on the whey? Any suggestions on protein shakes that don't gas you up??

Thanks,

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I've never had a problem with whey. Have you started eating higher fiber?
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    i would be looking at complex carbs as a more probable source of gas - broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower are potential gas-makers; beans will cause this if not consumed with rice which somehow mitigates the gas production.

Eliminate one (1) thing at a time for a few days to see if you can narrow down the possible causes.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    A friend of mine has this issue. I've not noticed it personally but some people are more sensitive to lactose/ dairy than others so it could be a factor. You could try a vegan protein, like pea protein and see if that makes a difference? Or just get your protein from non-dairy food.

I thought adding chickpea flour to my diet (make my own flatbreads, they're delicious) was getting me too much protein and that's why I was producing such interesting fragrances... but it turns out it's just the chickpeas. Nothing to do with protein levels. Some things just don't agree with some people.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    SOme protein powders do this to me too. I've had good luck with Bluebonnet dual. But in general a big increase in protein without some adjustment will do it.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with whey. Have you started eating higher fiber?
    Was my first thought.

Other than that, there are foodstuffs that are notoriously gassy: cabbage, beans, sprouts. If you've started eating things like that then that might be a contributing factor.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2018
    telm2018 wrote: »
    I have been on a great streak with working out and eating good. But I have some serious gas that is to the point of embarrassing and is keeping me locked in my house. Could it be the whey protein (Gold Standard double chocolate) that I take post workout? I also am not maxing out my protein, so not sure if its on the whey? Any suggestions on protein shakes that don't gas you up??

Thanks,

Stop taking it for a week and see if your problem persists.
    If you have just changed your diet to include some new foods it could be a particular food.
    I get my protein from food not shakes. Are protein shakes really necessary for you to consume?
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Try shaking up the container the whey comes in. Sometimes it’s just the ingredients aren’t mixed properly and settles to the bottom.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Protein and fiber is a deadly mix for me. Best stay down wind! Lol
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Maybe your body has become lactose intolerant or has difficulty processing foods containing gluten?
  • telm2018
    telm2018 Posts: 2 Member
    I think I will lay off the shake for now, see how that goes. I have increased my fiber intake come to think of it. I probably should eliminate one food at a time and see what happens. thanks for the suggestions and comments
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    How do you react to the shake after you drink it? Some people have issues with drinking it but they usually get the runs from it not gas.
    How long has it been going on? More than a day? If it's only been today I wouldn't worry all that much and see what happens tommorrow.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Try a different brand and if issue continues try a vegan version. “What causes gas” can be different for everyone.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Yep, whey protein can definitely do that. I mean, so I've heard...you know, from a friend. o:)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Fake meat products give me the worst toots.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Some things that make me very gassy are: pea protein, spirulina, legumes, gluten and dairy.
    I'd say try to cut back on those and see if you have the same problem.
    How long have you had this? If it's persistent might be worth getting tested for food allergy or intolerance?
    Taking probiotic supplements has also helped me.