upping my calories - request for input

Options
I've been reading through the many posts that discuss how to set a daily calorie goal in the context of one's activity level. In addition, I've been freshly reminded of the dangers of muscle loss from too aggressive weight loss program.

I'm a 62yo F, working a desk job that gets about 4000 steps a day, 5 days a week on the treadmill for another 3000-4000 steps (30-45 min), 2-3 days a week light strength training at home (crunches, lateral raises with light weights, squats with light weights).
(Beginning this week I'm going to add some at-the-gym weight training after I get off the treadmill.)

I started using MFP with a FitBit on 9/4 and have recorded a 20 pound weight loss to date on a 1200 calorie a day plan.
I have almost always eaten back 50% approx of the fitbit adjustment. Most times I don't feel hungry at the end of the day. I feel satisfied with a macro balance of 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein.

I have another 35 pounds to go to reach my goal.

Based on my reading here, continuing at this rate of loss is not recommended, and so I want to increase my calories and slow down the loss rate, at the same time that I increase my strength training.

Current weight is 179 and goal weight is 144.

I did a bunch of reading at links found here and there among the posts, did some calculations and I think that 1700 -1800 calories a day might be the right new target to achieve a continued weight loss at a slower rate, while having sufficient calories to live and build/retain muscle.

I'm counting on the extra work planned for the gym to trigger the appetite to consume another 600+ calories a day.

Feedback appreciated, especially if there's a serious flaw in my reasoning!

thanks
amyfb

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    I've been reading through the many posts that discuss how to set a daily calorie goal in the context of one's activity level. In addition, I've been freshly reminded of the dangers of muscle loss from too aggressive weight loss program.

I'm a 62yo F, working a desk job that gets about 4000 steps a day, 5 days a week on the treadmill for another 3000-4000 steps (30-45 min), 2-3 days a week light strength training at home (crunches, lateral raises with light weights, squats with light weights).
    (Beginning this week I'm going to add some at-the-gym weight training after I get off the treadmill.)

I started using MFP with a FitBit on 9/4 and have recorded a 20 pound weight loss to date on a 1200 calorie a day plan.
    I have almost always eaten back 50% approx of the fitbit adjustment. Most times I don't feel hungry at the end of the day. I feel satisfied with a macro balance of 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein.

I have another 35 pounds to go to reach my goal.

Based on my reading here, continuing at this rate of loss is not recommended, and so I want to increase my calories and slow down the loss rate, at the same time that I increase my strength training.

Current weight is 179 and goal weight is 144.

I did a bunch of reading at links found here and there among the posts, did some calculations and I think that 1700 -1800 calories a day might be the right new target to achieve a continued weight loss at a slower rate, while having sufficient calories to live and build/retain muscle.

I'm counting on the extra work planned for the gym to trigger the appetite to consume another 600+ calories a day.

Feedback appreciated, especially if there's a serious flaw in my reasoning!

thanks
    amyfb

I would not make such a drastic change, from 1200 to 1800. Start with 1500, give yourself a few weeks and see how it goes. If weight loss is still too fast, then up calories a bit more.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Yes I agree that if you are going to add more weight training then definitely look at adding more calories in the form of high quality protein. Simple trick like 1/3 cup of pumpkin seeds can add a whopping 17g of protein to your day and only 300 calories. Greek Yogurt and Tuna are great too and lower in calories...

I like adding nuts or nut butters but forget about seeds / thanks for the reminder!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m always the contrarian on this topic. I would start by eating ALL of your exercise calories back and start your lifting program. If you are feeling good and building strength and not hungry, keep doing what you’re doing. If not, add calories until you do.

Your weight loss will slow down, so if you have momentum, keep it going,