Living within means!

Options
Hi
I am trying to live differently the end of this year compared to how I have previously. I want to live inside my income, not use credit card etc. My battle is medical care, extra dislocation means extra cost, and boy oh boy am I dislocating badly these days but, that will mean less money for food if I am to manage that not using credit card. So, I am going to have to exist on 1000 calories ish a day (dont repeat that to my niece who is smaller than I am and I have told her that is too low) I know that is too low but, I cant cope with the stress of owing money any longer. I am planning on this level for three weeks. Not sure what budget will mean after that but, hopefully in three weeks I shall be out of credit card use.
I know things are often deemed essential in life that 30 years ago wouldnt be deemed so, so two years ago I stopped signing up for new mobile on contract just have sim only deal, hoping phone doesnt die just yet. All other bills I check regularly, just about to do household insurance. Suspect other bills due to be evaluated also will check paperwork to see if I can release money.
Why now you might ask?
All my immediate family are now deceased, my oldest niece's grandmother passed September, and that hit harder than I expected, it brought into perspective that should I die soon there is no funds to bury me, and it should not be my nieces and nephews responsibility to do so. Can I squirrel away enough, I dont know, I doubt it but, I can ensure I do not leave debts behind.
God bless you
xoxox

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Are you eligible for any government assistance if not already taking part?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Try this website for recipe ideas. http://www.budgetbytes.com
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Last year I had a close call with one of my pets and realized how close to the edge I was living, and decided it was time to get my financial house in order. This included a very strict food budget. I can tell you that every sacrifice was worth it. If the health concerns I've been dealing with this year had happened last year, I would have lost my house. So please know that, yes it's a struggle, and some hard choices needed to be made (selling stuff, cancelling memberships such as Netflix, changing insurance companies, shopping around and purchasing only necessities, taking public transit), but it was worth it. My concept of what was a necessity shifted considerably.

For shopping around, I used Flipp, which is a flyer app, and allows you to compare sale prices. This allowed me to make a focused list for a few different stores, and make purchases of items on sale. For meat, I still look for the stuff that is expiring soon and therefore marked down. This allows me to get 30% off. Anything that won't be eaten by expiry date goes straight into the freezer. I didn't shop on impulse, I bought what was on sale, and then planned my meals around that. Great website for meal planning is myfridgefood.com. You enter in what you have on hand and it gives you recipes. This way you can use those cheaper food items and try some great new recipes (I have never been disappointed by one of their recipes yet).

You can do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't get to see an NHS chiropractor?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    You can't get to see an NHS chiropractor?

+1 .... My thoughts exactly.
  • VictoriousBeauty
    VictoriousBeauty Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    the nearest chiropractor to me who is on the NHS is 20 miles away by the time I pay hospital transport to get there it is just as expensive as seeing my private one, plus they are only allowed 6 sessions so, what do I do when those are used up?
    my hip is extremely painful as it has rotated externally so, my decision, ignore it, keep going, and pretend all is well until 13th when my next lot of benefits come in, or pay for it with the £7 I have left, and the other use credit card for to have it adjusted. FOOD or Medical care
    x
  • VictoriousBeauty
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Last year I had a close call with one of my pets and realized how close to the edge I was living, and decided it was time to get my financial house in order. This included a very strict food budget. I can tell you that every sacrifice was worth it. If the health concerns I've been dealing with this year had happened last year, I would have lost my house. So please know that, yes it's a struggle, and some hard choices needed to be made (selling stuff, cancelling memberships such as Netflix, changing insurance companies, shopping around and purchasing only necessities, taking public transit), but it was worth it. My concept of what was a necessity shifted considerably.

For shopping around, I used Flipp, which is a flyer app, and allows you to compare sale prices. This allowed me to make a focused list for a few different stores, and make purchases of items on sale. For meat, I still look for the stuff that is expiring soon and therefore marked down. This allows me to get 30% off. Anything that won't be eaten by expiry date goes straight into the freezer. I didn't shop on impulse, I bought what was on sale, and then planned my meals around that. Great website for meal planning is myfridgefood.com. You enter in what you have on hand and it gives you recipes. This way you can use those cheaper food items and try some great new recipes (I have never been disappointed by one of their recipes yet).

You can do it.

I do not have netflix, tv licence, or any extras. I pay the bills, water, electric, insurance, mobile is sim only, cheapest internet availalbe where I live, and council tax. I have a strict food budget however, that disappears if I need medical care so then its eat, start, healthcare. I dont have stuff to sell, and by the time I pay someone to take it to post office to post it then whatever I would of made would of been spent on their wages. I cant walk to the local post office its a couple miles away, I cant walk to the nearest bus stop it is half a mile away. I am disabled so use carers, hospital cars and they cost between 45 pence per mile and, 55 pence per mile plus booking charge so, saving money is only possible by not leaving the house. No idea what Flipp is but again savings would go in fuel cost to carers unless it is in one shop, cant follow set recipes as lots of food I cant eat.

Wondering if you have read my initial post and replies, or just the first post most of this I have already said although maybe not so directly

Off to evaluate how to cope with hip rotated, and a shower!
    x
  • nutmegoreo
    edited November 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

You can do it.

I do not have netflix, tv licence, or any extras. I pay the bills, water, electric, insurance, mobile is sim only, cheapest internet availalbe where I live, and council tax. I have a strict food budget however, that disappears if I need medical care so then its eat, start, healthcare. I dont have stuff to sell, and by the time I pay someone to take it to post office to post it then whatever I would of made would of been spent on their wages. I cant walk to the local post office its a couple miles away, I cant walk to the nearest bus stop it is half a mile away. I am disabled so use carers, hospital cars and they cost between 45 pence per mile and, 55 pence per mile plus booking charge so, saving money is only possible by not leaving the house. No idea what Flipp is but again savings would go in fuel cost to carers unless it is in one shop, cant follow set recipes as lots of food I cant eat.

Wondering if you have read my initial post and replies, or just the first post most of this I have already said although maybe not so directly

Off to evaluate how to cope with hip rotated, and a shower!
    x

Yes, I read it. I was just saying how things worked for me, and that it can be done. Just trying to be helpful and supportive. :confused:
  • VictoriousBeauty
    Options

Yes, I read it. I was just saying how things worked for me, and that it can be done. Just trying to be helpful and supportive. :confused:[/quote]

Sorry didnt mean to snap, its difficult to balance the books, eat right, and cover medical care. Decision was made at 7.15 that I shall have to function with hip rotated until the 13th when my benefits come in again as I cant afford the care. Disconnect mentally from pain in body, and carry on!
    xoxox
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Sorry didnt mean to snap, its difficult to balance the books, eat right, and cover medical care. Decision was made at 7.15 that I shall have to function with hip rotated until the 13th when my benefits come in again as I cant afford the care. Disconnect mentally from pain in body, and carry on!
    xoxox

I'm sorry you have to make that kind of decision. Hopefully, someday you won't. Living with chronic pain can be emotionally draining.
  • VictoriousBeauty
    Options
    Thank you for understanding

Made it to Church PRAISE GOD, I decided might as well go if I am going to be in pain then might as well be there and spiritually fed than home feeling sorry for myself. Due to cancellation of fireworks last night as it was a tad stormy ;-) there was food after so, I grabbed a coffee, and a jam donut (will pay for it later but, hey ho needs must) the baking potatoes bought for the event were bagged up on the table with a please help yourself so, I got a bag of potatoes which will mean I can get my calories up to 1600 a day this week Another provision PRAISE GOD ;-D

God bless you
    xoxox
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Catching up on this thread... what is your height and current weight ?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Glad you got some food from your church.
    Have you reached out to your church, charities, friends, family for help with transportation, food or help covering medical costs?