Bariatric Surgery Support

Options
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are currently in the process of trying to get weight loss surgery, and to be quite honest I am a bit scared. If anyone has any suggestions/tips/kind words, I would really appreciate it. I feel like a failure going this route, but I simply cannot do it on my own anymore.

Replies

• mizcotton1
    mizcotton1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m in the process also, probably having RNY at the end of the year. I think if I don’t do it I will 100% remain morbidly obese with health problems. Having surgery will give me a crack at losing my excess weight and the potential to be an energetic and healthy young woman again.
  • 1project2many214
    1project2many214 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up! Surgery is a tool like any other, but it can be a vital one if your health is standing in the way of normal activities. Make sure you find a clinic with a strong in-person support network (counseling, dietitian etc.) because those will be just as important as the procedure itself.
  • AmyLeeSexton
    AmyLeeSexton Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I was one of those that always thought bypass was the easy way out ... had my surgery on 4/12/18 and I can tell you that IS NOT the case!!!! I use a starting weight in March which was my first appt with my surgeon and so I’m right at 7 1/2 months and I’m down 122 lbs!!!! Just remember it’s not just a surgery that causes the weight loss it’s a whole lifestyle change including lots on exercise, but SO worth it in the end!!!! Go for it! You won’t regret it (well some days you may, but just keep going).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Nothing easy about it! I was considered for surgery, when I decided to give the natural route a try again. I lost 200lbs. If I fail to maintain long term, I will have it done! I mean, what's easy about a surgeon to cut you open, remove part of your stomach and reroute your digestive tract? Then add on top the medical issues that can happen with the surgery. Hernias, blockages, infections, dumping syndrome, mineral and vitamin deficiency. Nothing easy about that! I might suggest giving natural one last try and then if you fail, get the surgery.
  • time2change1111
    time2change1111 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery 18 months ago and it was the best decision I’ve ever made in my life.

I’ve lost 70 kg, I’m so much happier and much healthier.

I don’t regret it for a moment.