Tinned food &Tuna

Options
Has anyone any work lunch ideas for me.

I really love a tin of tinned tuna with cous cous. However the cous cous tends to go out of date which means I can not keep it in my locker like I do tins of tuna.

Anyone any tinned food items that go nice with tinned tuna? Plus that it does not send calorie count sky high.

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Rice wraps are dry until rinsed for filling and eating use, so they store well and you can fill them with anything. Tuna w julienned veggies and a splash of soy would appeal to me.
  • MrWeather81
    MrWeather81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Okay Amy, thankyou for this feedback. I will look into it. Sounds good.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    The xTreme Wellness high fiber tortillas are 50 cals each and really good; I prefer them over flour for most things. They don't need refrigeration and last a long time on the shelf; I am not even sure how long but for a while our closest store didn't sell them and my wife would get a few packages when shopping where they did. Sometimes we had some over 3 months.
  • MrWeather81
    Options
    Cheers carved tones
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I buy lunch packs of small cans of tinned tuna and crackers. Calories work out good for me (the crackers are only 100 calories or so- they are small), and paired with an apple or a cereal bar, I’ve got a pretty good lunch!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    cous cous are dried pasta. They'll keep for a long time in an air tight container. Or are you talking about some kind of cooked packaged cous cous? I would still think they would keep until you open the package.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you are buying pre-made couscous. In the uk they sell small pots of dried flavoured couscous/pasta/rice that you just add boiling water to and leave for 5 mins or so. Have you checked the dried food aisle of your supermarket for anything similar?
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I’d also say buy small cans of cannellini, kidney or butter beans. Great fibre content. You can slightly smash them with back of fork and add the tuna and some low fat salad dressing
  • MrWeather81
    Options
    Hi Dame. Yea in supermarkets Asda have lovely small pre cooked cous cous, that does not need water or anything , it's ready to eat. However I work shifts, and may be off a number of days between shifts so tinned food in my locker is fantastic as I do not need to worry about expiry date.

Thankyou for the other food tip idea. 8)
  • MrWeather81
    Options
    Thankyou you Lynn also
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you are buying pre-made couscous. In the uk they sell small pots of dried flavoured couscous/pasta/rice that you just add boiling water to and leave for 5 mins or so. Have you checked the dried food aisle of your supermarket for anything similar?

Or you could probably save money by buying a larger container with many serving of dried cous cous in it, and just portion out the amount you want and add boiling water to it.
  • MrWeather81
    Options

Or you could probably save money by buying a larger container with many serving of dried cous cous in it, and just portion out the amount you want and add boiling water to it.

You

Thankyou, I may try this out and see !!! Tanks all for feedback