Effectiveness of the Elliptical Trainer? Please check this o

Options
I use the elliptical on a regular basis for cardio and toning for exercising because I cannot run because of an injury in my lower back. It's perfect because there is no impact on my back that running would otherwise cause. However, I read this on a blog tonight :

"The idea behind some people’s religious devotion to the elliptical machine lies in the belief that since cardiovascular exercise effectively burns body fat, any form of cardio will suffice. First of all, a nutrient-dense diet combined with both cardiovascular and resistance training is shown to trump diet and cardio alone, but that is not even my main gripe. Research has consistently shown that the elliptical, although easiest on joints, is worse than the treadmill, stationary bicycle, and rowing machine (not to mention activities such as swimming and intense hiking) when it comes to elevating heart rate and burning body fat. This is due to the fact that movement on these machines relies heavily on momentum and not resistance or the propelling of one’s bodyweight. All these months of elliptical training has yielded mediocre results, and now you know why"

Now im questioning the effectiveness of it. I know you cant believe everything you see on the internet, so im wondering what others opinions/ what you know. thanks!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor?

I got one recently and actually jumped on my old elliptical for the first time in a long time yesterday. It WAS hard to get my heart rate up in the 130s or 140s. It easily gets up there with my Turbo Fire workouts.

But it is cardio and if you push yourself and get and keep your heart rate up there it will burn some decent calories. I burned 100 calories in 15 minutes. Better than nothing.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love the elliptical too! I hope this isn't entirely true! I always up the resistence on mine so I have to actually push and work hard!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I did the elliptical yesterday, and my heart rate was between 150 and 180. No problems here.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I can get my HR up fairly easily if I amp up the resistance.
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    I try to get as close to Maxing out the resistence as I can. I raise the level to 12-15 which you really have to push. Also the ones we have at our gym here have incline on them, and I raise it as high as it will go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical on a regular basis for cardio and toning for exercising because I cannot run because of an injury in my lower back. It's perfect because there is no impact on my back that running would otherwise cause. However, I read this on a blog tonight :

"The idea behind some people’s religious devotion to the elliptical machine lies in the belief that since cardiovascular exercise effectively burns body fat, any form of cardio will suffice. First of all, a nutrient-dense diet combined with both cardiovascular and resistance training is shown to trump diet and cardio alone, but that is not even my main gripe. Research has consistently shown that the elliptical, although easiest on joints, is worse than the treadmill, stationary bicycle, and rowing machine (not to mention activities such as swimming and intense hiking) when it comes to elevating heart rate and burning body fat. This is due to the fact that movement on these machines relies heavily on momentum and not resistance or the propelling of one’s bodyweight. All these months of elliptical training has yielded mediocre results, and now you know why"

Now im questioning the effectiveness of it. I know you cant believe everything you see on the internet, so im wondering what others opinions/ what you know. thanks!
    If you leave it on level 1, I would agree. There is no mention of increasing resistance. Try doing it at the highest resistance and see how fast the heart rate goes up. Fail.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Maybe the blog writer needs to get a real heart rate monitor and not rely on what the machine shows! LOL

My Polar shows me between 140-160 depending on how fast I'm going and the resistance level I choose. I'm not trying to go all out on the thing but staying within my fat burning heart rate zone.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well I am going to have to say who ever wrote that or posted that is wrong. At the very beginning of my journey this year I did 2 straight months of elliptical only cardio for a solid hour. I ate right. and was hitting my calorie goals every day. You know how much body fat I lost in that 2 months? 40lbs. Now granted... I had a lot of weight to lose in the beginning. But I still use the elliptical some days over the tredmill (which i use most of the time now) but even now... my heart rate is easily 160-175 after about 10 minutes on the machine.

Worse than the stationary bike....please.... lol
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can get my HR up fairly easily if I amp up the resistance.

Amping up the resistance is the key on the elliptical. BUT

The elliptical is not a machine the everyone should use. I am on the shorter side at 5feet tall and I can tell you right now that some machines are way too big for me and can actually cause pain in my hips/knees/back due to lack of proper posture caused by the peddles being to far apart or the handles moving to far for my reach.
  • greatdragon
    Options
    Elliptical Trainer arn't bad the biggest issue is that most people use way to low of a resistance. causing the effectiveness to be very low, when your done with a workout. you should feel like you cant go any longer, and no more then an hour + cool down
  • rachelleh09
    Options
    I typically do about 40 mins of interval on moderate resistance. I read that for 150 lbs your lose around 350 a half hour. I weigh 157. i cant afford a heart rate monitor. how many calories could i assume ive been losing? my body is toning up and i have been losing weight so i feel its somewhat effective. what is a safe number of calories burn to log in my diary to mke sure im not eating too much?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, you need to work hard to make the elliptical count. It is really easy to not work hard whether it is from low effort, no incline, no resistance, leaning on the arm handles, etc.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's crap. I'm a newbie on the fitness and can do 10 minuets on resistance on 5. I can get to 8-9km on this and my hearrate is up to 150 very quickly.
  • riccolesmana
    Options
    Usually I'm exercising with HIIT training by 30/30 intervals. At level 5 and 15 (10-18km/h). Calories burned up to 100 within just 5 mins. I do this for twenty to thirty minutes.

Afterall, I wet all my shirt and pants.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont know...i know i can get on a treadmill and run like crazy and not be tired or break a sweat.

but i get on that ellipical and i pour the sweat..same for the recumbent bike. weird
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Something is usually better than nothing and more is usually better than less...no matter what machine you're talking about. Still think the best burn for your money (just the cost of decent shoes) is running outside :smile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I did the elliptical yesterday, and my heart rate was between 150 and 180. No problems here.

Same for me.

You can adjust resistance if it's starting to feel too 'easy'. At my gym we have two types, and they do slightly different things in terms of the range of motion, the elevation and the resistance.
  • IloveRanch
    Options
    I do an hour on the elliptical (in the uk we call them cross trainers) 2 times a day usually. first time i go i try a staggered routine between 125bpm and hold that for three mins then work up to 155bpm and then hold that for 3 mins, then ill go back down to 125bpm for 3 mins and so on. When i go again in the evening ill just do a straight 60 mins keeping at 130bpm. I have legs like a redwood now!!!!!
  • IloveRanch
    Options
    Something is usually better than nothing and more is usually better than less...no matter what machine you're talking about. Still think the best burn for your money (just the cost of decent shoes) is running outside :smile:
    See id love this, at present though im to big and my knees are just to ruined
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    :heart: the elliptical