Help with diet re calories

Options
Hi everyone, I'm enjoying a healthier lifestyle and am losing the pounds but I'm actually finding it hard to meet my calories per day, for example, I'm often 900 under. I'm worried if this is a problem, I'm not hungry very often anymore but when I eat I'm ravenous . Not sure what to do. I have a wife who is dieting too so she needs way less calories than me

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Being ravenous once in a while is a sign you aren’t getting enough all around.

Add full fat dressing to your salads.

Try drinking whole milk with your meals.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    900 calories below your goal is a lot.
    You could try prelogging your food for the whole day to make sure you are getting enough calories. Then you won't get to the end of the day and feel like you suddenly have to eat another meal.
    I would also say to eat more of what you used to eat. If you see you are really low fat or low carb in your food log you might increase foods that would help you reach those goals.
    Increase your portion sizes or eat more calorie dense foods.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Using full fat dairy. Add some condiments or salad dressing. Eat whole eggs. Add cheese. Eat some bread, pasta or rice. Have some avocado, banana or a potato. Eat less lean meats. Have some nuts or seeds.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    MattO229 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm enjoying a healthier lifestyle and am losing the pounds but I'm actually finding it hard to meet my calories per day, for example, I'm often 900 under. I'm worried if this is a problem, I'm not hungry very often anymore but when I eat I'm ravenous . Not sure what to do. I have a wife who is dieting too so she needs way less calories than me

900 under...Under what?

Are you using a Fitbit or are you entering your exercise into the Exercise tab on Myfitnesspal?

Some of the exercise calories are inflated, some of the fitbit settings cause double counting - it could be just bad data.

Also, how are you calculating your calories eaten?

Lastly, how often does this happen?

Please open your FOOD diary so we can help you troubleshoot, here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

^^scroll down click "Public" and save.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    OP - 1500 calories is the floor for adult males. Look to incorporate calorie dense foods back into your diet.

Just learning portion control for "diet" foods isn't a healthy long-term approach. You need to plan for maintenance too.

• MattO229
    MattO229 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My limit currently is 1900.. I'll make a couple of changes to my diet and will see how that goes. I cut out bread so that probably makes a difference... It's just hard because before all I ate was crap so now I'm eating healthy foods I am not really that hungry but I know I'll suffer if I don't meet my target
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you’re only eating 1,000 calories a day? That’s not a lot of food.
  • danner1983
    danner1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same happen to me a few years ago, you get to a point where you are eating minimal and like you said at times become ravenous. I preferred the feeling of an empty tummy as opposed to a full one. Needless to say, I became anorexic without realising. Try to nip it in the bud and get the the calories in, it does your body no good long term.
  • MattO229
    MattO229 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @Lulehu that's including having 2-300 calories taken off for exercise. Still not much food however. I'll try and have larger portions from now, I was having the same as my wife, who needs 600 less a day than me. I'm losing weight at a steady progress so hopefully I've nipped it so I won't lose too much too quickly as my goal is health not a quick get skinny diet.