Are Scales the work of the devil

Options
:devil: :laugh:

Ok, I know our weight fluctuates - that's why it's good to have a weekly weigh-in at a set time/day so we can accurately track progress, but I've had a successful week food and excercise wise and with the weekend coming up and my weigh-in day on Sunday I thought I'd have a sneaky mid-week weigh-in this morning just in case I went a bit OTT tomorrow.

106kg!!! Wow, I couldn't believe my eyes, so I tried again... 106. Could it be true... had I really dropped 7.5kg (16.5lbs) in a week :happy: :noway: I certainly feel in myself a bit less tight around the tummy and my XXXL shirt was not tight on me yesterday.

Anyway, I went out on my bike this morning... did my little circuit around the park and back home, had 1/2glass of juice and then got showered. Then I weighed myself again and ... <slap in the face>... 110.1kg :cry: I tried again....110.1.... and again on the same spot on the bathroom floor I tried this morning...110.1.

Now on the grand scheme of things, 110.1 is still good ... it's a 3.4kg (7.5lb) drop and a really good start. :happy: .. but why did the scales lie to me this morning :sad: :grumble:

Replies

• bubbles143
    Options
    Always weigh yourself at the same time , first thing in the morning, maybe it was water weight? And I know this sounds weird, but maybe you had to pee? Lol, a full bladder will weigh you down?
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have some pants on standy-by for when that 'spare tyre' disappears :laugh:
    That happens to me too - so I try to do the same day every week, first thing in the morning. Its difficult not to have a peek halfay through the week - but its all part of me learning self control.
  • Maree_
    Maree_ Posts: 65
    Options
    Don't you weigh more straight after excercising? Something about your muscles being tight or something? I might be wrong
  • Bodybuildersam
    Options
    I have a hard time basing my results off ot the scale alone. Weight can fluctuate a lot, and there are many factors that can contribute to that. Personally I go by my BF%, and how I look in the mirror more than my current lb's. My scale I use can (at least somewhat accurately) measure these things for me, and eases my mind about the weeks progress. And really to make an impact you have to lose the body fat to make a long lasting difference in your total weight.

Just my two cents :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have some pants on standy-by for when that 'spare tyre' disappears :laugh:
    No pants here… I want to be able to see my twinkie once it’s gone… it’s been such a long time since we winked at each other :wink: :laugh:
    That happens to me too - so I try to do the same day every week, first thing in the morning. Its difficult not to have a peek halfay through the week - but its all part of me learning self control.
    I wasn’t going to weigh myself mid-week, but after some thought I realised that Sunday was probably not such a good day seeing as I’d no doubt have been to the pub on Saturday afternoon and sunk a few Suffolk Cyders :drinker: (empty calories :ohwell:)
    Always weigh yourself at the same time , first thing in the morning, maybe it was water weight? And I know this sounds weird, but maybe you had to pee? Lol, a full bladder will weigh you down?
    No that was the weird thing… when I first weighed in this morning, I’d not long had my morning wee. Then after I’d been for my bike ride (about 40mins later) I hadn’t had much more than a few sips of juice before I hit the shower. Just found the 4kg difference quite bizarre :laugh:

Anyway, I’ve decided to weigh-in tomorrow morning and keep Saturday morning as my weigh-in day/time, so as not to have my weekend excesses count against me. :smokin:
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you've noticed your weight going up after starting an exercise program, don't panic! It doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong, nor does it mean you're going in the wrong direction. There can be some obvious and not-so-obvious reasons you're gaining weight.

Your first step is to determine if what you're gaining is actually fat or muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, but it takes up less space...if you gain muscle, your scale weight may go up even as you're slimming down. Rather than just using a scale to measure your progress, you can get your body fat tested on a regular basis to get a better idea of what you're gaining and/or losing. If that isn't an option, you can take measurements at different areas of the body...if you're losing inches, you're on the right track.

If you've measured yourself in different ways and realized you are gaining fat, take some time to go through the following possibilities - you may need to make some small changes in your diet to see better results.

1. Eating too many calories. It may seem obvious, but eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain. What some people don't realize is that, after they start exercising, they may start eating more without being aware of it. Most people think they're eating a healthy, low-calorie diet but, unless you're keeping a detailed food journal, you just don't know how many calories you're really eating. Most people are surprised when they start keeping a journal and adding up the calories--it almost always turns out to be more than they thought. Before you quit exercising, take a week to keep a food journal. Add up your calories to get a sense of exactly what you're eating...if it's too much, you can start to make some changes in your diet to reduce your calories. And try to avoid the mindset that says you can eat whatever you want since you're doing all this great exercise...to lose weight, you still need to monitor your calories.

2. Not eating enough calories. It may seem counterintuitive, but eating too little can actually stall your efforts to lose fat. As Cathy Leman, a registered dietician and creator of NutriFit! says, "...if there is a severe restriction in calories, the body may counteract this reduction by slowing down its metabolism." Be sure you're eating enough calories to sustain your body if you've increased your activity.

3. Not giving your body time to respond. Just because you start exercising doesn't always mean your body will respond to that immediately. As Cathy Leman puts it, "...in some instances the body needs to sort of "recalibrate"' itself. Increased activity and new eating habits (taking in more or less calories) require the body to make adjustments." Cathy recommends that you give yourself several weeks or months for your body to respond to what you're doing.

4. Rule out any medical conditions. While thyroid problems are rare, they can definitely make weight loss difficult. There can also be medications you're taking that could affect your body's ability to lose weight. If you feel your food intake is reasonable and you've given your body enough time to see results and haven't seen any (or are seeing unexplainable weight gain) see your doctor to rule any other causes.

5. You're gaining muscle faster than you're losing fat. If it seems that you're getting bigger after you've started a weight training routine, it may be because you aren't losing body fat as fast as you're building muscle, which is a problem some people experience when they start exercising. Genetics could also be playing a role here...some people put on muscle more easily than others. If that's the case for you, don't stop training! Instead, you might simply adjust your program to make sure you're getting enough cardio exercise to promote weight loss and focus your strength training workouts on muscular endurance by keeping the reps between 12-16.

Whatever the cause of your weight gain, don't give up on exercise. It's not only your ticket to weight loss, it's also important for your health.

****I googled it :p******
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
    :indifferent: :glasses: :embarassed: :frown: :devil: :sick: :drinker: :cry: :sad: :bigsmile: :blushing: :huh: :yawn:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I can gain as much as 6lb over the course of a day. This is likely meaningless daily fluctuation. Weigh yourself in the morning, naked and after your morning 'ablutions'. It's the time when all your bodily weirdnesses are at their most consistent. (There's another thread on the same topic floating about somewhere, if you want to have a look).