how do you know how much weight you've lost ?

Options
I weighed myself yesterday and had dropped a pound so was really pleased despite falling off the wagon at the weekend (chips!!!) But this morning I thought I'd try again - same time of day (albeit after breakfast) and I weighed two pounds less than yesterday. I know weight fluctuates but should i always take the lowest measurement as my current weight? I'm happy to ignore the minor increases but I want to enjoy the surprise decreases? Should I?

I know inches matter etc but it's motivating to see the pounds drop too.

What do others do?

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weight in every day to get a feel for my natural fluctuations - but I only record the weigh-in from Friday morning after having used the restroom and before eating/drinking anything.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I do the same as mowu. Also, it's best to weigh in the morning, before you eat or drink anything (after you've been to the loo). That's when you'll see the least fluctuation due to things like water weight.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I "peek" at the scale every day - but only record my loss once a week - to me I like recording a bigger number once a week than little bits all the time....
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do the same as mowu and meerkat70.....I weigh every day but only record Tuesday weights. I often seem to weight less on Wednesdays and Thursdays then it goes up a bit after the weekend, so recording just on Tuesdays give me an accurate idea of what's happening.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yep, same as all of the above for me! I record on a Saturday :smile:
  • jetsec
    jetsec Posts: 79
    Options
    I do the same as above, I weigh every morning, after loo before eating and drinking but only record my weight on a Monday morning.

Jayne
    x
  • pickulz76
    Options
    I do the same as everyone else...weigh every day (bad habit) and record once a week.
  • shazzamax11
    Options
    I only weigh once a week on a Thursday, weight fluctuates daily so the amount always changes. I think weighing every day is a bit excessive.
  • Briannah
    Briannah Posts: 50
    Options
    I feel that weighing everyday can be dangerous to self esteem.. your body changes every day naturally and weighing myself everyday would just make me unneccesarily sad over a 100-200g gain that really shouldnt matter.
    I prefer to way myself every week. Once a week, saturday morning, after toilet and before eating.. I find its more consistent this way
    A good way to measure weightloss is by your clothes too.. its nice to notice your pants sitting a little looser.

B
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record every day, in the morning after going to the loo and before eating. The fluctuations don't bother me. I do take my Sunday morning weigh-in as my "official" weekly weigh-in though.
  • kaimi2011
    kaimi2011 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I weight in every day to get a feel for my natural fluctuations - but I only record the weigh-in from Friday morning after having used the restroom and before eating/drinking anything.

same here. my day will be Monday's.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Well - i'm going to buck the trend - I get on the scales once a week - same day each week. Same routine - wake up, go to the bathroom, then get on the scales. Return to my room and get dressed, while the computer warms up, and enter my weight for that week.

It's all about consistency. After all, if we're aiming for a pound a week weight loss - that's under a litre of water - so that mug of coffee you had could well mask half your weeks loss! - so could getting on the scales before having your morning pee!

I guess I really don't care what i've done from day to day, I know I'm in this for life, not the next couple of months until I get down to a particular number. It doesn't matter that much what you do from day to day - if I go over 50Kcal one day, I can always pick it up another. Equally, If I have a "big day out" on the bike - e.g. sunday club runs - 70-80 miles, 5 hours riding, not only will I need to eat some of my exercise calories (or I'll never get home!), but my hydration balance will be skewed for the next couple of days, so there's no point in weighing in those days.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day at the same time and record any drop. I find it demotivating if the day I happen to chose to weigh in is the one I've fluctuated up a pound or two!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day at the same time and record any drop. I find it demotivating if the day I happen to chose to weigh in is the one I've fluctuated up a pound or two!

Same here! Well almost - I only log whole pounds on MFP but increments on my spreadsheet.

It works for me because I have a logical approach; I'm unemotional when it comes to my health and fitness, so I need to understand how my body reacts to things such as ToM, increased exercise, the weather, certain foods/drinks etc., and I can't do that if I only weigh once a week. Having a solid, scientific understanding of how my body works enables me to be successful with my fitness, health and weightloss. I find that incredibly motivating! :bigsmile:
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record every Monday morning...After loo and before food and water.....
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I scale hop most days but only record my Wednesday morning, pre breakfast, post loo weight :D
  • Julianacaceres
    Options
    Well they say the most accurate way is to take measurements of your arms and neck, which just tells you that you ARE losing weight, not how much, otherwise your weight and even waist measurement do fluctuate.so you cant really get that accurate
  • Clairejay34
    Options
    I wouldnt weight everyday, once a week is enough or even every two weeks you might get a nice surprise! I wouldnt worry so much about the scales, you will see and feel better about yourself if your dieting and exercising, i think its more important that your clothes fit and you like what you see in the mirrow than what your actual weight is

:)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a month. No one is one weight, weight is something that is in constant fluctuation throughout every day, and throughout the month if you are female (I water retain enough to go up a clothes size in the 4 or so days before a period). Once a month gives me enough of an idea to know I am moving in the right direction (though tbh clothes sizes are just as good a measure), without worrying too much about the actual number, which is really a fairly pointless approximation at best anyway.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm weighing and recording every day, but only so that I can keep a closer eye on things after falling off the wagon (a 15lb fall)! Once Monday comes I'll be weighing weekly again.