How to maintain weight on cruise?

Options
I’m going on a cruise from 21-28 October. I’m concerned that I will undo my progress to date (12 pounds loss). Any advice on how to manage this challenge so that I can enjoy my holiday and maintain my loss?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Bring your phone with it's app and continue doing what you've been doing to lose the weight you've lost. Eat appropriate portions and keep active. If you can't keep active, eat less to compensate. Also consider going on maintenance and just holding your weight steady. And don't worry if you gain 3ish lbs in water weight from a change in the types of food you eat. It'll come back off right away when you get home and get back to eating at a deficit. Probably within a week.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Walk a lot. If you have any days at sea they are great for walking the decks or going to the gym. If it's rainy the gym is a great way to waste some time. What can be better than walking on a treadmill with the ocean ahead of you

I've been on lots of cruises and don't usually gain much weight. Just keep moving and heck there's only so much you can eat or drink!!! :) Have fun I'm jealous I love cruising
  • Jinkstrixy
    Jinkstrixy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it’s good to hear it’s doable!
  • Jinkstrixy
    Options
    Wow, you are in a whole other league to me, running 12 miles daily. I’m aimiming to get fit enough to run 3 miles by the end of the year! Currently I walk fast daily for 45 minutes and do 30 minutes gym work daily. I can keep this up, possibly more walking. I have a week to go before I go and I’m going to try and smash it and lose another couple of pounds before I go away.
    I’ll post how I get on fierce I get back!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on my last cruise. I used the gym, walked and jogged the upper deck, swam laps, stayed up late and got up early and ate only the *really* good stuff. It's possible, I promise!
  • jimgetchell3673
    jimgetchell3673 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avoid buffets. Watch your liquor. Try to eat in the dining room or specialty dining where most items are ala carte. You can take advantage of great seafood and well prepared meals - avoiding fried and other bad choices. And then you can do all the gym stuff everyone mentioned.
  • Jinkstrixy
    Options
    Back from cruise yesterday and had weigh in this morning - wasn’t sure what to expect as I did go to gym and did loads of walking. Didn’t eat bread but enjoyed cooked breakfast, buffet lunch, dinner with desert and lots of wine and cocktails. Had a great time and put on 5 pounds in 7 day! Back on clean eating today and will update again when I hit my pre cruise weight, hoping I can do it within two weeks 🤞
  • Jinkstrixy
    Options
    A week after cruise I am back to pre cruise weight😀. Worth it and I learnt that holidays will slow your progress but not ruin it👍
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was on a five-day cruise in May and vowed to never take the elevator, just the stairs. Sometimes that meant walking up and down something like eight flights of stairs. But my husband and I stuck to plan. We also walked a ton at the ports we stopped in and on the ship. It's hard to avoid walking a ton on a cruise, actually. I ate and drank whatever I felt like. I gained three pounds, which I was able to lose pretty quickly.