Vegan

Options
I’m new to this! I am vegan and really seem to be struggling to get enough protein without ramping up carbs.
What macro split do my fellow vegans follow for optimum health and weight loss?
My husband is a meat eater and follows an 40 40 20 split (carbs, protein, fat). I just cannot get that split.
I don’t want to rely heavily on protein powder.
Any help appreciated.
Oh and recipe ideas .... hit me with them!
Thanks!!

Replies

• Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Are you UK based? There are plenty of vegan substitutes going around in major UK supermarkets that are fantastic.
  • hayleyturner045
    hayleyturner045 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeh UK based. I want to try and stay as “Wholefoods” little processed as possible x
  • leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Is there a specific reasons you're avoiding carbs? Carbs have a bad reputation in general, but the good kind of carbs like lentils, kidney beans and etc are a great source for protein.
  • hayleyturner045
    Options
    I’m not specifically trying to avoid. I suppose I’ve just tried to follow what my husbands split is but he eats meat and I don’t. Wondering what the best split for vegans is??
  • leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan so I don't have enough experience here, technically lentils are both carbs and proteins so not sure how to split them like you did in the OP. Try incorporating more into your diet and see what works for you :wink:
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the macro split that MFP initially designated which is 50/30/20 (carb/fat/protein)
    Why not try this for now until you find your feet with the vegan proteins that work for you. Let’s face it, it’s not going to negatively affect your weight loss and you might find that some days you get 30 protein. You can then review what you ate to reach the higher level and adapt your meal plans. Why are you thinking you need to do the same macro goals as meat eating hubby anyway? I could understand if it was because you would be cooking and eating the same meals but you won’t be. Have a play in the meal planner with the various foods you enjoy and keep a note of which show higher protein. Just delete them off when done.
    (Btw I’m not vegan, I’m a meat eater with a vegetarian boyf so I do cook and eat a lot of plant based products).
    Shame you want to stay away from processed though. I was going to recommend the ‘OUMPH!’ Products from freezer aisle in Tesco. They are vegan and I swear, as a meat eater, they are hella-good!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m WFPB and do not count macros. But if I did, it would be something like 75/15/10. Vegan and low carb is possible I suppose, but sounds miserable. I’d suggest you pick a horse and go with it.
  • hayleyturner045
    Options
    Thanks everyone ......
    I wasn’t sure of the split so just copied hubs. I’ll reconsider.
    I’m gluten free too so rules out some processed.

X
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about splits. I'd determine the amount of protein needed in grams, do the same with fat, treat them as minima, and fill up the rest of the calories with whichever macros you like (and that doesn't have to be the same every day).

Most vegan diets will naturally be higher in carbs than most diets that include significant amounts of animal products.

Legumes and legume products are your friends.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no "best split" for vegans. There may be a best split for you (a range where you feel consistently satisfied and energetic), but vegans (like non-vegans) can choose to be high/moderate/low carbohydrate or high/moderate/low fat, etc. I personally get about 50-60% of my calories from carbohydrates, 20-30% from fat, and the rest from protein. I don't stress about any individual day, I just try to stay in balance for the rolling week. I know from experience that this works best for me, your personal ranges may be different than mine.

Have you tried just tracking the way you'd like to eat, seeing where those macros fall, and then making adjustments if you're too low in protein or fat?
  • hayleyturner045
    Options
    Thanks!

I’m haven’t tried that! I will do though - good idea!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and gluten-free as well. I don't focus on the macros, but can see I am running about 60/20/20. For me, making sure I get a *lot* of fresh vegetables has been far more helpful in having the weight come off.