Interval training at the gym - pros and cons please!

Options
Hi all

We've had new machines installed at the gym, so I took the opportunity to see a trainer and get a new programme, I advised him that my primary goal is to lose weight and he advised interval training.

The total cardio workout is now only 25 mins - 15 on the treadmill doing intervals of 1 minute fast walk > run > fast walk, and then 10 mins on the elliptical trainer, 1 min off, 30 mins of going as fast as I can etc.

My question is really - is this the best way to burn calories / lose weight - or are the two aims slightly different?

He said that it is about the work your body has to do to go up to the fast speed and then the recovery and that it teaches your body to burn fat more efficiently and speeds up something or other, could have been metabolism but can't quite remember.

I was thinking of doing 1 or 2 interval training cardio sessions a week, but doing 1 long sustained moderate cardio session, along with the cycling to and from work 2 or 3 times a week. Would that be sensible or should I stick purely to the interval cardio sessions?

Again, all advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• wensweeney
    wensweeney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is the fastest way to burn fat plus keeping muscle. We all thinking lose weight on the scale. The most important is to drop body fat and lose inches. You can lose 10lb in a week but that could be muscle and water. Short time quick result. Is not about how long or much time you spend on machine. It is how hard you pushes yourself. You see result quicker. Hope this help. Best of luck.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    This is what my trainer does with me, im literally on the treadmill for about 10-15 mins and do 40 mins of interval strength training too like boxing and then dumbells then trx then pressups and lunges and interval running.

Its meant to burn more fat for longer than just doing cardio and im seeing good results after 2 months than just doing cardio on its own.
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think your trainer is given you a good plan.

To burn more at a lower HR... (so what you are calling a moderate sustainable session) needs your body to be used/adapted to working hard for long.
    Interval means you doing a bit of very hard work and some easy to recuperate and do more hard work.

Can you run for 45' or 1 hour at a 65% 75% HR? Is quite hard and time consuming... but the interval sessions allow you to work much harder, with rest and using less time. Also it helps your body to adapt to harder work in easy steps.

(I am not compering total calories used in one 1 and 25' at different efforts as it depends from many factors, just trying to explain what your trainer is doing)

Try to complete the sessions that the trainer has given you for 6 weeks and then go back to the trainer and see if you can do more or different stuff. That is if you like that trainer!

Best of luck!
  • hellolouisey
    Options
    This is great. thanks for the info everyone! I've started interval running rather than constant (slow) running and was wondering which was better for getting my tummy flat and my peach peachy!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not an either/or issue. Interval training is an important part of a workout routine. As is endurance training. As is tempo training (what might be referred to as "high intensity steady state".

A balanced program should include all three. They all support each other and will ultimately give you the best results.

Trainers will normally push for higher-intensity interval work--which is appropriate since the time you spend with a trainer is the time you should push yourself. But that doesn't mean you should stick exclusively to those types of workouts.

Exercise trends go in cycles--the current fad is intervals, intervals, intervals. This is the second or third time I have seen this cycle. Intensity can be a powerful stimulus -- but it works best when the dosage is controlled. Human physiology hasn't changed and a balanced approach is still the best.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - some really good advice and opinions there - much appreciated :)
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Exercise trends go in cycles--the current fad is intervals, intervals, intervals. This is the second or third time I have seen this cycle. Intensity can be a powerful stimulus -- but it works best when the dosage is controlled. Human physiology hasn't changed and a balanced approach is still the best.

This is really true! What we are told works best today, is not what we will be told works best tomorrow and so on. The current "fad" is interval training and it definitely brings about excellent proven results, but I have also seen straight cardio get good results too as I have seen circuit/cardio have good results among other things. I have to agree with this "balanced approach" advice.....but I also have to say that in the long term, it is best to find a plan that you LIKE and that you will stick with for LIFE. What I am doing is completely changing my routine every 30 days. I have seen some pretty good results and changes (that I like) in my body and this approach seems to be working for me. Started with the 30 Day Shred with a little cardio (walking), then moved into the gym with 30 mins eliptical trainer and circuit/strength, recently moved up to 50 mins cardio with calisthenics and strength/circuit, Monday I am going to start 60 mins cardio and the 30 Day Shred. I think we just have to find something that works for us, that we KNOW we will stick with and there is where we will find our best results.

it sure will be nice when i reach GOAL so that I don't have to work out pretty much every single day!!!!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I do interval cardio, high intensity cardio and endurance. In my opinion, I don't think you should just do one and not the other because on any given day, your body may not be able to do what you want it to do. I try to listen to my body and I can tell if it's one of those days where I can push myself to the max. What is MOST important is you do what only works for YOU. Trainers can sometimes have a cookie cutter routine that they pitch to every client (I'm speaking from past experiences) however, you should be able to notice what works best for you after a couple of weeks.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's not an either/or issue. Interval training is an important part of a workout routine. As is endurance training. As is tempo training (what might be referred to as "high intensity steady state".

What is tempo training? For example - I would do the elliptical trainer at level 5 for 30 minutes which keeps my heart rate in the 65% zone (around 122 bpm for me) and that's how I've trained up to this point. The interval training I get, would tempo training be something like upping the level considerably but a constant speed for 30 minutes - so for me say level 8 for 30 mins?

Thanks
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

What is tempo training? For example - I would do the elliptical trainer at level 5 for 30 minutes which keeps my heart rate in the 65% zone (around 122 bpm for me) and that's how I've trained up to this point. The interval training I get, would tempo training be something like upping the level considerably but a constant speed for 30 minutes - so for me say level 8 for 30 mins?

Thanks

Tempo training is done to increase your stamina; so basically working out a moderate pace for an extended period of time.