Can you guys tell me if my Apple Watch is giving me the right numbers?

Options
Losingthedamnweight
Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
edited November 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Does all this make sense? For the record, I’m 34 years old, male and 230 lbs (god I hate writing that) at 5’8

This was a night where all I did was go to work and go home. I work as a cna and it’s not THAT strenuous. It’s 12 hour shifts, but it’s mostly walking and cleaning for a couple hours and the rest is paperwork and taking care of people.

It seems like all my calorie burns are a bit high but I might not be understanding all this right. What do you think?

aOHebha.jpg

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't think those active cals are out of line for you as a person walking around for 12 straight hours.

Now the interaction between those numbers and MFP is something else, there are a couple of recent threads you should search up and read through that cover it in a lot of detail and nobody needs to type it all out again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There are a couple good Apple Watch groups. They have explanation threads and you can ask more questions there.

In the "Groups" tab at the top of the page, just type Apple Watch into the search.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups/browse/search?Search=APPLE+WATCH
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This does not look right to me. How do you have 2 mins of exercise, but 10k steps? Walking at a minimal pace counts towards exercise? Are you manually inputting workouts?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    This does not look right to me. How do you have 2 mins of exercise, but 10k steps? Walking at a minimal pace counts towards exercise? Are you manually inputting workouts?

If I'm just walking around the house and yard all day doing laundry and junk, it might not register many exercise minutes for me either. Walking around a ward or office could rack up a lot of steps but nothing on the green ring for sure. People even report the green ring not increasing while in walking workout mode because the watch is looking for a certain threshold of heart rate, arm swing, BPM and maybe GPS if outdoor. If it truly gets stuck, sometimes it's because the watch has built a faulty history due to user error, selecting incorrect workout modes and the like so the calibration can be redone. Again though, just casual walking doesn't trigger the green ring much at all for me either.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Unless you're at 3 MPH or higher, the Watch doesn't count steps/walking as exercise.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

If I'm just walking around the house and yard all day doing laundry and junk, it might not register many exercise minutes for me either. Walking around a ward or office could rack up a lot of steps but nothing on the green ring for sure. People even report the green ring not increasing while in walking workout mode because the watch is looking for a certain threshold of heart rate, arm swing, BPM and maybe GPS if outdoor. If it truly gets stuck, sometimes it's because the watch has built a faulty history due to user error, selecting incorrect workout modes and the like so the calibration can be redone. Again though, just casual walking doesn't trigger the green ring much at all for me either.

Yup.

Like, my walking commute, for example. Every morning, it counts the downhill portion. In the evening/afternoon, it does not reliably track the same walking commute uphill. Because uphill is a steep, steep incline, and nope, I'm not doing it at 3 MPH the entire time.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

Unless you're at 3 MPH or higher, the Watch doesn't count steps/walking as exercise.

And even then, your heart rate has to reach a certain rate.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Ok guys now another one. Here’s a day where I did absolutely nothing. Just chilling around the house and got under 2000 steps. Didn’t do anything strenuous at all unless you count going to the kitchen as a workout. Does this seem high to you guys or about right for someone with my stats?

UZxtrw7.jpg
  • savannatim
    savannatim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The is a glitch with Apple health rings at the moment. Mine is exactly the same as yours every single day. My husbands says he closed his stand ring whilst sleeping and my daughters says she does 80mins exercise but her move ring doesn’t move even one bit lol
    I spoke to Apple the other day and they are aware of a problem and are trying to fix it. Hope that helps x