HELP PLEASE if you stay within calories and eat junk food wi

How bad is a junk food meal for you if you still stay within calories?? My mum came home with kfc and practically forced it down my throat, will it make me gain weight even if I am within my daily calorie allowance?

Replies

• SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    The salt. etc in this junk food might cause you to gain weight even if you stay within your calorie allowance. Drink plenty of water to flush the crap out :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Sue :smile: x
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    One meal won't do anything, but I wouldn't make it a daily occurrence :) There's a lot of sodium and carbs in KFC as well as calories AND it's fried. I would say eat it, enjoy it, and don't worry about it. Just don't have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    One meal won't do anything, but I wouldn't make it a daily occurrence :) There's a lot of sodium and carbs in KFC as well as calories AND it's fried. I would say eat it, enjoy it, and don't worry about it. Just don't have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day :)

Don't worry I'm not going to :)
    There was one point where I used to eat maccas 3-4 times a day, but don't worry NEVER going back down that path again! Healthier food is just so much more appealing to my taste buds. :)

Quite happy actually, first time that I have eaten food from a fast food place for more than a month and don't think that I ever allowed myself a treat in that time! Oh well, this will be it then :)
  • It WILL still cause you to lose weight. I am still just a teen; I don't cook and I can't be bothered to calculate calories in some thing that doesn't already have the amount of calories printed on the side (ie, my step-dad's home made cooking.) Therefore I eat crisps, marshmallows, ice lollies, microwave meals, diet drinks, etc...

I have lost 33lbs. It's probably better for your insides to eat fruit and stuff, but a straight answer for you without a lecture about your intestines; yes, you will still lose weight.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Lol, I eat a bag of cheetos a day (minimum, most days other junk as well) and have still lost. You know it's better for you to eat healthy, but bottom line is calories. If you're under your calories, you'll lose weight, even if ALL you eat is KFC (though I don't recommend this approach, lol!). And yeah, the sodium might make you retain water for a day or two, so don't freak out if the scale is a little higher tomorrow :).
  • I do it all the time and I always stay within my calories/fat/sodium/carbs. I workout extra if I know I'm going to be bad. :glasses:
  • mariec25
    mariec25 Posts: 47
    Like the others said the sodium might cause you to bloat but you cans still loose weight. Everyone is going to eat junk food at some point so when you do don't worry about it and if you like it enjoy it. Healthy eating isn't about depriving yourself of everything and if you eat healthy and don't make it regular then go for it. Also, like the others said healthy food is better and might not help with those inches as much but calories are really maths so if you are under what your body needs you should loose. (although I'm no expert on weight loss or maths) However, I don't count calories as much I watch saturated fat as that's where the real problem for lies for me, because you can eat less calories but still have that fat.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Try not to worry too much about one day. If you're eating healthily most days it isn't going to hurt if you have junk food occasionally. You can always have a smaller portion of the junk food and then fill up on fruit if you're hungry later. Well done for staying within your calories though.

One thing I will say is don't weigh yourself the day after eating junk food because it contains a lot of salt and carbs usually, and this can make you retain a little water for a day or so. It is temporary water retention so it's nothing to worry about, just eat more healthily the next day and it will go quickly. Weigh yourself a couple of days later instead to get a better reading of your weight.

You're doing fine. Try not to worry so much :-)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    if youre in your calories, or not too far over them, and its not all the time, then itll be fine. Dont worry about it
  • pattydoz55
    pattydoz55 Posts: 3 Member
    i feel you should have a cheat day just dont forget to get back on track
  • sharlin_e
    sharlin_e Posts: 10 Member
    No, so long as your under your calorie goal. Conversely, you can eat healthy food and if you're over your BMR calories and not exercising (ie in calorie surplus) then you will gain weight. It's good to shock your body with food you wouldn't normally eat too. Eating the same food everyday even if it's super healthy can cause a bit of a weight loss plateau as your body gets too used to it.

In the longer term weight loss journey I think its important not to sweat the small stuff and be proud of the fact that you're overall much healthier than you used to be. Don't beat yourself up :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm not big on most fast foods, but I eat pizza (thick crust, too) at least once a week and have throughout the entire time I've been losing weight.

You might see a temporary increase on the scale from the sodium, but that's just water retention and will go away in a few days. As long as you realize that's going to happen, it won't be a shock or disappointment.

Like they said, it's not something you want to do every day, because you're not going to get the proper nutrients from it. Same goes for frozen microwave dinners. Good in a pinch, nice that they're proportioned, but actually not all that low in calories for how tiny they are. Stir fry some veggies with chicken or shrimp in a favorite sauce or marinade, add some pasta or rice, and you get a lot more (in volume and nutrition) for the same amount of calories.

But once in a while.. go for it. Enjoy it. Don't feel guilty about it.