Any fans of "My 600 lb Life"

Options
Find motivation even if I am (thankfully) , not that much over weight.

I first watched this earlier this year while recovering from heart surgery in the hospital.

The motivation is in understanding the difficult time in reducing weight, changing eating habits, and sustaining a diet that works.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I think psychology wise, it helps me stay on track.

Replies

• jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Watched it 2 years ago 3 or 4 times. Amazing although I needed to lose about 56 to 66 pounds
  • ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE
    ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love show! I have all the episodes. The Assanti Brothers in Season 6 are my favorite episodes (2 part series).

I’ve learned after watching so many episodes, these individuals have suffered so much in life. Their weight is often a side effect of something else. They’ve been abused, neglected, hurt and bullied. They’ve eaten as a way to cope.

It’s not easy losing weight. Often times MANY forget there is an emotional aspect that needs to be addressed as well. It’s okay, and often mentioned by me, counseling pairs well with weight loss.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree to all comments above. Its retrospective in that for the most part we all do not have that much weight to loose, and if they can be successful what is our excuse? Thanks for comments.....
  • LynzesLosingIt
    LynzesLosingIt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Love this show! I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    There are very inspiring people on the show. It also serves to me as a warning because I eat to cope as well. I'm fortunate that I don't have an enabler that would make the issue far worse, but I know that I would be in a much worse position if I didn't have therapy and other methods to cope with my emotional troubles.
  • tanyanie11
    tanyanie11 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i love that show so much!! it helps me stay motivated and i love seeing them succeed :-)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I understand how one can get motivation watching it but I found the show has the whiff of "freak show" about it that makes me uncomfortable. Same thing with "Hoarders". Schadenfreude isn't a virtue.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I find this show inspiring, too. It's interesting to see how they turn their lives around and watching their success unfold.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree to mulecanter's comment on it being a "freak show", but that is in part of using the show as a part of my self therapy. So sad and I do not want to even approach this amount of over eating. It dramatically shows the impact of many years of overeating abuse and the lack of self control. I know as a food addict, a life long battle.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I love this show!! As others have said, the people on the show often have sad and complicated histories that have manifested in huge weight gain. I love to see the moment things click and they get on track. I agree with another poster about the Assanti brothers episodes. The dynamics in that family were so interesting.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've watched a few episodes since I learned how to lose weight by logging calories and paying attention. From this knowledge base, it's strange to see how people dying with obesity seem to have no awareness that their eating habits are the cause.
  • vikingsfan78665
    vikingsfan78665 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love this show so glad it’s starting up again I use it for motivation and etc. please feel free to add me
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of shows that are kind of like a "modern freak show" (well put @mulecanter, I couldn't find the right word). I understand how it could be something people enjoy or find inspirational, it just doesn't have the same effect on me. As someone who used to be very fat, I don't need the cautionary tale because I lived it. What happens on the show is not something that only happens to other people, so what's left is the drama and emotional manipulation, which is not my kind of entertainment.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have sort of been binge watching the show for the last few weeks. Also, the "skin tight" series and "where are they now". I find it motivating too. However, I wish they didn't show as much of the people in the shower, practically naked. I agree that this is too much of a "freak show" aspect of the series. I love the people that wake up, work hard, and achieve their goals. I watched one last night where a woman had been in bed for years...and she finally was able to walk a little with her walker..incredible.

I only have small quibbles with the show. Dr. Now always talks about putting his patients on a "no carb" diet...and then the next thing they show is the patient proudly buying bananas in the store. I wish they did go into a little more of the nutrition aspect so that people watching the show who are overweight themselves get a little more of an understanding of what carbs are and aren't.

Anyway, glad other people here find the show fascinating too. Glad it will be back with new episodes soon. I think I have seen most of them.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I love show! I have all the episodes. The Assanti Brothers in Season 6 are my favorite episodes (2 part series).

That's funny....the Assanti brothers were among my least favorite episodes. Stephen has one of the worst borderline personality disorders that I have ever seen.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about the show. I applaud them when they are successful and lose but I hate the often embarassing video of them half naked as @CindyJNC1963 says. The other thing that frustrates me are the enablers who are bringing them food that's killing them. That's really hard for me to watch. I think a psychological support system for the whole family would be a great addition and help everyone to get better.
  • rileyskye1
    rileyskye1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I dont mind this one but enjoy supersize vs super skinny (i watch them on youtube occasionally) too. With this you get to see the issues with both extremes 😀
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    Options
    I used to watch it .
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options

That's funny....the Assanti brothers were among my least favorite episodes. Stephen has one of the worst borderline personality disorders that I have ever seen.

Yes, this is true for me too. I've watched most of the episodes since season 5 I think (when they started being an hour and a half long) more than once because I generally find there are details I missed the first time around, but I found the Assanti brothers episode (mainly the older brother's part of it) so disturbing I couldn't bring myself to turn it on a second time.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I enjoy watching it. I've joined a Facebook group where various members of the cast have also joined. It's really interesting to talk to them about their journeys in a more personal way. A lot of them are really great people who are just trying to live their best life.