My AWESOME Chocoloate Chip Cookies - without the guilt!!

Options
So I was on this intense search for HEALTHY chocolate chip cookies. It was an honorable quest, but I didn't think I'd succeed. But lo' and behold - I came across a great blog and found exactly what I was looking for. And I must must must share! I have modified it so here's what I do. I'm not sure if I can link to another's blog, but let me know if you are interested and if it's ok, I will post the blog or pm you.

Ingredients:

Dry -
Whole Wheat flour - 2 c
Old Fashion Oats - 1 c
whole walnuts - 1/4 c
cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
kosher salt - 1 tsp (originally sea salt)
baking soda - 1 tsp
baking cocoa powder - 3 tbls (totally an extra, but an awesome way to add a little extra chocolate flavor)

Wet -
apple sauce - 3/4 c
coconut oil - 1/4 c (the original recipe uses butter but I didn't want to use butter)
pure honey - 1/2 c
egg - 1 + 1 egg white
2 tsp vanilla extract (though sometimes I use almond extract)

bag bittersweet chocolate chips - Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips for example

Extras:
Craisins
chopped walnuts

Directions:
Mix the dry ingredients. I put the old fashion oats and walnuts in my blender to break them down first.
Mix the wet ingrediants - as a note, the coconut oil will solidify as soon as the cold of the apple sauce and eggs are added. So I do the wet last and add the dry as soon as soon as the wet are all mixed up.
Add in the chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. I do 13 minutes and they are perfect. Makes 24 cookies. According to MFP they are 105 cal/cookie (w/out the craisins, extra walnuts, or bananas (keep reading))

Variation - add 2 ripe bananas (but then reduce the apple sauce to 1/2 c)

They freeze well and can be eaten as a breakfast meal or wholesome snack! After putting the recipe in MFP - it's 105 calories after making 24 cookies. An awesome snack.

And let me add this bit - these cookies have helped me curb my sugar cravings. I actually no longer want milk chocolate or even semi-sweet. I don't want candy anymore and as one who was addicted to cookie dough...like "I CAN'T make cookies and NOT eat the dough" - these cookies cured me of that. I have no desire to eat the dough because the end results are so much better.

This recipe so adaptable and feel free to experiment with what works for you! Let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

Replies