stopped smoking

Options
As I posted yesterday Ive just started this fitness thing, but I also stopped smoking a couple of months ago and Im finding it hard to work out which snacks i can afford to eat. My appetite has risen incredibly since I gave up smoking, so this has become a problem of mine. If anyone could advise me, on which snacks are good for me that would be a great help.

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    During the first couple of months after I quit chewing gum really helped me out. I decided to give it a month before I tried to do any exercise or change my life in any other way then the quit.

have a look at the forums at about.com, there's loads of helpful people and information there.

I still log there regularly enough.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    its easy, don't buy crap and you can't eat it. Have healthy snacks available all the time. carrot sticks, nutts... hard boiled eggs... just don't have crap food around and you can't eat it. Easier said than done but its the simple truth that sometimes gets hidden the most.
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    baby carrots : 35 cals per 85 g
    cucumber : mini cukes are about 10 cals each
    any of the bell pepper family, it's about 20-35 cals a pepper
    any of these, or any other veggie, and a low cal clear salad dressing as a dip, is what i've been doing, kraft calorie wise zesty italian is only 5 cals a tbsp, and depending on the number of veggie sticks you have, sometimes that's all you need. :)
    i'm doing the healthy thing, then going to do the attempt to quit smoking thing... i learned several years ago not to attempt both at once.
    good luck on your journey :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    cut up raw veggies (carrot sticks, celery sticks, sweet peppers, etc) and keep them handy for when you need to crunch and munch. If you're like me and can't get through celery sticks without a little dressing buy some plain yogurt and add ranch seasoning from the packet for a lower cal dip. You'll even out in time, but it does take time. Oh, and lots and lots of water. It's been 8 years since I quit and the smell make me sick to my stomach.
  • drolla
    drolla Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi
    Like you I gave up smoking 10 weeks ago, strawberries worked for me, I sat a whole punnet on my desk and whenever I had the urge to eat I would have one. another good idea is to drink a glass of water whenever you either feel you need to smoke or are hungry, if you still feel hungry after the water fruit and veg is your best bet.
    You've done incredibly well to give up smoking, you must have willpower, if you gain a few pounds don't be too hard on yourself, once your body gets back to normal you'll soon be able to tackle the few pounds you put on, it will be a doddle compared to giving up smoking!!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Fruit, veggies, pretzels, and popcorn are good choices. I would make portion baggies for the popcorn and pretzels.

Congratulations on your decision!! I quit 3 yrs ago after almost 30 years. I had never driven without smoking, so I kept gum in the car. After meals was hard, too. I changed out lighting up for a hot cup of orange spice tea. It really helped replacing old habits. Now, I can't beleive I ever smoked. I wish you continued luck in your smoke-free journey!!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Mine was coffee with 2 sugars, i know not exactly ideal, but better than smoking, i didnt put on any noticable weight, but certainly didnt loose either. I stopped smoking 'cold turkey' and found this to be a good relacement, i think if i drank enough iv gave a simular feeling to a nicotine rush,

I never like coffee before i stopped smoking and now, iv weaned myself off down to black coffee with 1 sugar, about 3 or 4 a day max.

I stopped a year ago last Tuesday (16th August) and feel a new man for it! And even more so for going on the diet and exercise thing. but i wanted to take one step at a time, thats why i waitied so long until i decided to concentrate on my other health issues (weight). Best of luck with your journey, its a really bright light at the end of that dark tunnel! With lots of smoked free fresh air!