Kettle Bell home exercise programme

Options
Hey there!:happy:

I am just wondering if anyone uses a home fitness programme using a Kettle Bell.?

I keep reading great things about the Kettle Bell and its versatility and whilst reading a womens fitness magazine I came accross an advert for a kettle bell programme on DVD. Its not badly price but I have never used a Kettle Bell before and don't want to get caught up in the moment and purchase something that I don't know much about :huh:

I struggled with 30day shred after 11days straight cos of my knees and I wondered if anyone has any positive or negative feedback on the whole Kettle Bell thing.

Look forward to hearing your views & hopefully some success stories.

Cheers!

Replies

• ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Shred It With Weights: Kettlebell Shred by Jillian Michaels
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I *LOVE* Kettlebells! I've been using them about a year or so, and I think they are the greatest! :bigsmile: Kettlebells have totally reshaped my muscles!

My best advice is get a good tutorial to learn the moves properly. Jillian's Shred it with Weights (her Kettlebell DVD) is a great workout but she doesn't show you proper form well. Best to learn the moves before starting that one. My favorites are Kettlebell Bombshell with Lisa Balash and Kettlebell Bootcamp with Angie Miller. There are more involved programs (Kettleworx for example) but they are multiple DVDs and therefore more expensive. These two I mentioned are great disks and perfect for starting out and getting your feet wet.

Feel free ro FR me if you want - I love having kettlebell buddies!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love the kettlebell and there are a few good DVD's out there, including one that comes with the kettlebell - if you buy the one in the box. I find it to be a great compliment to JM's 30DS...but I don't like doing the same thing every day!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    LOVE my kettlebells!!

My sister got me Kettleworx program and it got me hooked.
    Shred it with Weights is pretty good, but I have a love/hate relationship with JM lol

AFter learning all the basics, I put together my own high intensity interval routine.

Did I mention I loved my kettlebells?
    I have several :)
  • wwperry
    wwperry Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to start Kettlebells too but wasn't sure I should buy just one to start or a whole set...
    And what weight should I start with?? Just finished JMs Ripped in 30 and wanting to do something different.
    So thanks for advice.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just started using them, but I like them so far! Great workout, kicks my butt!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Stay away from the J Michaels and Kettleworx stuff. There are tons of good videos on youtube.

Here's a channel that has vids combining body weight and kettlebells.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kitty8Tim

A gymboss timer is a great tool as well.
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Had a look at Kettlercise DVD set and reckon I will give that a try. They recommended starting at 4kg as I am fairly new to this kinda workout.

Wish me luck!!!
    :glasses:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I had the same exact issue with 30 DS! I only lasted 15 days before my knees cried "Uncle!" My hips were getting really sore, too.

I've been doing Zumba for my cardio for a year and lost inches, but it wasn't until I started doing KettleWorx that people would actually stop me and say, "How much WEIGHT have you LOST?" So in other words, doing this has really toned my entire body and I feel so much stronger. I have finished my third round! I started w/ a 5 lb., moved to a 7 lb. and now I'm up to a 10 lb. I'm doing week 6 w/ the 10 lb. KB this week. I've had to work up slowly, and when I moved up to 10 lbs. I did each week twice because it was kicking my behind!

I have started TurboFire, but I will be continuing some KW to maintain my strength level. I think it's one of the best strength training routines you can do that doesn't cost a lot and does not take up much space. I even took it on vacation with me - very portable!
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    youtube where get mine :)
  • crazycranberry
    Options
    Ok so just had a look at Kettleworx and also Kettlercise. Wow there is a huge price difference and I am soooooo confused.
    Kettleworx is £79.95 for loads of DVDs and a kettlebell which is only 5lb in weight.
    Kettlercise is £34.95 for 2 DVD's aimed at women and the kettlebell is 4kg in weight and this is for beginners.

I am now unsure which would be best for me as the kettleworx says 20mins per day 3 times per week and see changes in 6weeks. The Kettlercise has a 50min total body programme and also 20mins workout when time is short but doesn't say how often to do the programme per week on their website.
    Also there is a big difference in weight - Kettleworx kettlebell is 5lb (approx 2.2kg) but the Kettlercise for beginners uses a 4kg weight which is 11lbs!!

Can anyone give me some pointers here as I am very confused bunny right now!
    Thanks
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I did it for the 1st time yesterday and loved it! I bought the Art of Strength from Amazon b/c it was recommended by a guy on here b/c it teaches form. I like that you are using your body head to toe.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Youtube is free! There is a million videos there.

really good site here too.
    http://www.kettlebell-athletics.com/2010/12/17/kettlebell-flow-for-your-weekend-workout/
  • LAGrn
    LAGrn Posts: 1
    Options
    I love kettlebells! :smile: In just 2 months I have lost 1 1/2 in. off my waist, 2 ins. off hips and 1/2 in. off thighs. Check out Lauren Brooks, www.ontheedgefitness.com and Lisa Schaffer, www.nofearfitness.com for DVDs and advice on proper form. Lisa offers a complete guide on kettlebell exercises and training.... A very valuable book for the beginner and Lauren has awesome workout DVDs...I highly recommend Volume 1 and Volume 2.
  • imustbreaku
    Options
    Kettle Bells are a great tool for keeping fit. However without learning proper technique, you could do some real damage to yourself. Please, please look at videos or better still go and see a registered RKC trainer.

I have no affiliation with the RKC, but can recommend them as the last word on technique. JM may have an interesting workout programme, but her technique is suspect at best.
  • crazycranberry
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I did purchase a DVD and with the kettlebell and it disc 1 is all about technique etc and they recommend you watch and use this before starting the exercise programme on disc 2 so I am hoping not to suffer an injury.

I'll pop back with my progress/thought on it after using it for a ferw weeks or so I think.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    After doing some KB stuff tonight I am going to recommend this workout.

1. Get the heaviest KB you can
    2. Swing it lots of times!

Done

and

dead...
  • JanineSturniolo
    JanineSturniolo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebell...go to ontheedgefitness.com...Lauren Brooks, BEST DVD out there, I got the download version for my iTouch. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her workouts. She is knowledgeable, encouraging and her website is great! She does a great breakdown of each workout. (Not too much chatter which I LOVE!) just a hard hard workout!

www.ontheedgefitness.com
    janine