C25K Opinions?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm looking to start the C25K program, right now my endurance is very poor, and I want to be a runner soooo bad. On the program it says that you should run three times a week, but I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to run, say, 5-6 times a week? Thoughts?

Replies

• Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't running too long it is not that bad to do it 5-6 days a week. I did when I first started.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great program, it started me on the road from being a compete non runner to being a runner (17 km last Saturday!).
    As you are just starting out I'd suggest sticking with the three times a week, but that doesn't mean do nothing on the other days - mix it up with walking, cycling, gym work or strength training to give you some variety and give your body a chance to rest and heal certain muscle groups while using others.
  • zooflute
    zooflute Posts: 50
    Options
    It depends, I guess. I know I'm the kind of person that gets burned out easily. I like doing it just 3x a week so I'm fresh and energized each time, so that way I keep enjoying it. You might try an alternative form of exercise on the other days. You'll still be a runner!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do 5-6 days a week just yet, but every other day instead of 3x a week would be fine.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I ran every day when I first started C25k, with no background in running at all, but just because I loved it and the calorie burn. After a few weeks, I had to stop due to a crippling pain in my ankle which was a stress fracture from over use. I then wasn't allowed to run for weeks. I really really advise that you build up slowly. Rest days are important, and you can cross train which builds up strength in other areas.
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    hmmmm... Interesting. I had the same question. My goal with the program is to better my endurance (I'm on W4 D2) and at first it was hard for me to to all the 2 min runs, now I'm doing 5 min run which doesn't seem like much but I'm doint it much better than I did 2 min runs a couple of weeks ago. So would I mess up with getting my endurance up if I ran everyday, getting my body tired? I want to see all the answers... for now I'm sticking with the program :)
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bought the app for my Andriod phone but then never really used it. I think I advanced faster than it would have had me going! My 1st official 5K event is next Saturday! :)
  • cdelay2
    cdelay2 Posts: 10
    Options
    I loved this program! When doing the program, be sure to listen to your body. If you are running 5-6 times per week and your body is handling the stress of that fine, then go for it. If you start feeling exhausted or start having any problems then consider scailing it back. Good luck and ENJOY!
  • mindyrenee81
    mindyrenee81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Im interested in starting the C25K also. I want to be a runner so bad. I was athletic in high school but after I had my children my weight and body arent what they use to be. Whos the same after having children, lol. My husband is military and I want to be able to run with him. I just dont know what the program calls for and all.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    C25K says to run every other day... Always taking a break in between. I think this is pretty good advice if you're just starting out. If you push too hard too fast you risk injury, not to mention burning yourself out. Give your muscles a chance to adjust to your new routine... Google "NHS Choices C25K" - that's the one I used and I loved it!! Good luck - I hope you grow to love running as much as I have!! You can totally do it!!
  • shgreen612
    shgreen612 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LOVE C25k!!!!! I did it last summer and since then I have done 5ks, 10ks, and a 10 mile run! I am now training for my first half marathon!

DON'T OVER DO IT! Take it slowly and build up the distance and number of times you run a week. If not, you are risking an injury! I would follow the plan, but more than anything else, listen to your body!

Good luck!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in week 7 of C25K (25 min runs). The first six weeks I only did my runs every other day or every two days. I have never been able to run so I didn't want to risk injury or screw something up. ;o) On the alternate days I would walk. Walking for an hour (as boring as it may be for some people) is actually very good for building your endurance. Brisk walking...keeping your heart rate up, without the stress on your knees/calves. Since there are difference muscles involved in walking vs. running, it's really a good alternate on non-run days. You need to give your body a rest so it can recover and develop those muscles (that's when the magic happens, when you are resting or sleeping!). :o) Stick to the program...you will get results!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner before and I did the C25k too. I did it every other day. I did do other exercises, like my wii fit and went to the gym to do the elliptical on my off days. If you are not that fit you don't want to hurt yourself or burn out. I would do it every other day.

Best wishes
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the 3 days a week to start...walk, bike, swim or strength training on other days.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You said that you want to build endurance, but plenty of studies have shown that running every day can actually do the opposite. Almost every training program intended to build endurance includes rest days. That's a big part of the reason C25K has them built in. Running can be pretty hard on your body, and sometimes your mind. You need that time to recover from your last run and prepare for the next.

Running every day is one of the most common causes of injuries as well. Overuse injuries are serious business. They can put you out of commission for weeks or even months. If you think taking every other day off from running seems like too much rest, imagine how it would feel to suddenly be unable to run for a month or more because you over did it.

Also remember, rest days don't mean doing nothing. Cross training with low impact activities, strength training, and flexibility exercises can all help you run better, make you more fit overall, and make you less prone to injury. I'm a big fan of rest days.