MFP was down and I did this ... Help

Options
2»

Replies

• SimplyMary66
    SimplyMary66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Every morning is a new chance to start over! Stop beating yourself up and move on! Admitting it is half the battle! Just make sure you log everything you ate!
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How bout join a second fitness app like Fitbit? That way when one goes down you have a back up. Pack in the "friends" on both so you're likely to always have someone supportive around. Emotional baggage is the hardest to loose and even harder to maintain untill you get enough practice.

And instead of beating yourself up when you go overboard try cheering yourself on every time you end your day under your target. You don't have to be your worst enemy if you're dedicated to being your best friend. :-D
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. Really. Like once a week. I log it as soon as it's done and then just get back on plan. If you're eating at a deficit already, it will just be a tiny blip on the scale for a couple days, nothing more. All it did was slow down your overall weight loss by two days. Max. If at all. Probably not at all, but that's difficult to measure. All through my weight loss I had one or more "over" day per week (500-1000 over Maintenance cals,) and I still lost all my 70+ pounds pretty much right on schedule. Close enough to right on schedule that it was not measurable.

What I don't do is under eat on the next day to try to manipulate the numbers, unless it's just by 100 calories - no more than that. If I under eat, it will lead to another over eat day and then there is this whole eat/starve cycle that's very hard to break both physically and emotionally.

Truly, one day means nothing. It's going to happen again. Just get back at your plan the next day.

<3<3<3

• coolbluecris
    edited November 2018
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    I think basically I was having an emotionally down day. I'm upset at some things in life right now that I can't change. There was extra food available (high fat food that my husband eats) and instead of leaving it I ate it. It fed my emotions. It's the age old trap of why I put on weight in the first place.

Yes I rely too much on MFP for planning. My meals are pre-done and I'm always tweaking how much I can fit into my numbers. Is it a slippery slope to disordered eating as </smolmaus> has said? Lol too late, that ship sailed years ago. Disordered eating is what made me fat, and I'm here asking for emotional support so that I don't repeat the past and throw the towel in. I'm finding logging to be immensely healing. Having boundaries is doing me good. However since food addiction or any addiction is said to be at least partly caused by isolation, that's why we stick together :)

I don't understand. I mean, I get that MFP was down and you overate. What I don't get is whether not having MFP was something that rendered you incapable of knowing what and how much to eat or not having MFP caused you to go without the 'anchor' and made you feel like you weren't in control?

They're two different issues and are addressed differently.

I can't answer I don't know but do try to answer with a little empathy. I'm 1.5 weeks in and still in a learning curve. Negativity is hurtful and same goes for other posters here who answered in a condemning tone. In the past when I didn't reach out and ask for help with the behaviours that kept me a failure I continued to fail. I'll continue to ask my seemingly stupid questions.
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    We've all been there at some point I'm sure, I definately have, just move on to a new day and put it behind you.
    As already suggested you can adjust your intake over the next few days to compensate, or just get back on track and put it down to a blip. 1033 cals wouldn't even be a half pound gain and it was over your set limit so actually you're probably not much over maintenance for the day - absolutely nothing to beat yourself up about.

Thank you :)
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »
    As others have said, you had a blip. Coping with disordered or even just emotional eating can be difficult. If you have it set to lose a pound per week then you only ate 533 calories over maintenance. That is about 15% of a pound or not even 1/6 of a pound that you'll put on if you eat at maintenance the rest of the week. And if that was 1033 over your maintenance calories, that's still less than 1/3 of a pound you'll put on if you eat at maintenance the rest of the week. sometimes it's about perspective because even if you don't try and make up for it the rest of the week, you'll still be down 2467 calories meaning almost 3/4 of a pound.

As others have mentioned, this is not a big set back in the grand scheme of things. You should consider not trying to make up for it because trying to be reactionary can lead to a habit of being reactionary which takes away your control over the situation. I'm not saying that will definitely happen, but in can help to accept what happened and plan for better in the future. You are in charge of how you react to things and people whether it's MFP being down or overeating or anything really. It happened. Forgive yourself and move forward. And in the future, when something like this happens, you'll know how many calories you've eaten up until that point so you'll know how many you have left. You can always do this the old fashioned way of tracking your remaining calories with a pen and paper and logging when the sure comes back up.

And I say all this with the knowledge of I did the same thing yesterday. The difference is, I had been toying with the idea of either a full diet break for a week or two or dropping my rate of loss for a week or two. Yesterday I ate at maintenance. I ate things I really wanted but have been avoiding because they are triggers (read can't that I normally don't have in the house but we didn't get as many trick or treaters as we should have.). I'm glad I did it because that 3 musketeers want worth it but those extra guac chips most certainly were. And it let me know that eating more every once in a while isn't going to kill me but my choices on what I eat definitely determine how I feel. It's all a learning process.

Yes indeed it's a learning process and I'm learning after years of food addiction. Thank you for understanding and encouraging me :)
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Just let it go. You are going to have bad days every once in awhile. But using diet and exercise to punish yourself for those bad days just reinforces an unhealthy relationship with food.

Go back to your regular diet/exercise routine and move on from that day. It’s truly not a big deal.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Consider it one day at maintenance. Log it. Forgive yourself. Continue with your regular plan. IMO thus will help you become dispassionate about your food log and view it as data. It happened. You are human. It’s ok. Today is a new day.

Looking at the weekly calorie stat helps me keep focus and realize that one day doesn’t have as much impact as my emotional side believes