Question about the weekly 5000 calories or 10000 calories binge day

Options
Hi there, just wondered that how much weight you can gain if you have a weekly 5000 calories or 10000 calories binge day. I am usually consume around 1800 calories food and drinks on a daily basis.

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I believe it is 1lb per 3500 cals but presumably if you binge on one day your appetite will be reduced the rest of the week?
    ETA I guess if you can manage 10k in one day you can manage more than 1800 on others...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It depends on your TDEE. If you’re very active and/or a tall male-you might not gain anything (maybe even lose). I ate kind of like that during marathon training (my high day was in the 6-8k calorie range) and I lost. If I ate like that this week, I’d probably gain 2-3 lbs.

If you weigh yourself the day after a very high calorie day, you will likely be up many pounds due to food that hasn’t digested yet and water weight due to likely higher sodium and carb intake.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just wondered that how much weight you can gain if you have a weekly 5000 calories or 10000 calories binge day. I am usually consume around 1800 calories food and drinks on a daily basis.

It depends on what your maitenance calories are. Is 1800 calories a deficit for you or maintenance?
    You should expect to gain 1 lb per every 3500 calories over your maintenance level.
    If 1800 calories is maintenance for you then you could expect to gain 1-2 lbs per week with one 5,000-10,000 calorie day.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    1 lb per 3500 calories over your maintenance is correct for fat gain but keep in mind that you also may see some water weight gain due to the sudden change in diet particularly if the food is salty. If alcohol is included you could lose some water but it will come back. Many things affect our body weight including additional bulk in the digestive system. If you are concerned about actual fat then you can calculate with the 3500.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    OP, we can't answer your question with any accuracy unless you come back and at the very least and tell us if 1800 calories is maintenance for you, or a deficit, and if a deficit, how much. Or if you're trying to gain weight, how much of a surplus.

eta to add gain weight question
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's football season. You watch 3 games in a row, that's potentially 9-12 hours of eating and drinking, and possibly alcohol consumption. Getting 5000+ calories in during that period of time isn't outside the realm of possibility.

OP, if you are genuinely bingeing, then that is problematic. If you are talking about having a day where you are going way over calories but are maintaining control while doing it, that's not good for maintaining your weight but not necessarily indicative of disordered eating.
  • dennisllaugesen1419
    Options
    I couldnt imagine 10k calories in 1 day. I am 6'3 205 lb male. 5000 calories is doable if eating a bunch of pizza and drinking beers, but 10k in ONE day???
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I couldnt imagine 10k calories in 1 day. I am 6'3 205 lb male. 5000 calories is doable if eating a bunch of pizza and drinking beers, but 10k in ONE day???

Out of interest I decided to do a 'worst case scenario' experiment to see what my calorie intake would have been on my most absolute worst, most out of control day.

I calculate I'd likely consumed 11,800 calories

Keep in mind this isn't something that would have happened more than maybe once or twice ever. But I have no doubt there were one or two days where I had the perfect storm of blowouts for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacking all occurring in the same 24 hour period.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

10k in a day is child’s play lol😂 easily can down 10k in a meal right here😂👌🏻