Super Healthy Ice Cream Fix

Options
Murphk323
Murphk323 Posts: 184
ofvmnt.jpg

I live in Texas where it's a billion degrees outside and I always crave ice cream!
Forget the high calorie temptations and go with this recipe.

You will need:
1 peeled and sliced banana (stick that baby in the freezer for an hour or two.)

Blend frozen slices in a food processor or blender.

THE BEST PART: Toppings!!!
You can add walnuts, almonds, peanut butter (my favorite), honey, agave nectar, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, whatever you like, the sky is the limit.
You can also blend it with organic cocoa powder or some whey protein powder.

BENEFITS: bananas contain tryptophan, which is an amino acid that can convert to seratonin, which can lead to improved mood. Other health benefits: high in iron, high in fiber, and high in potassium which helps prevent heart problems ;)

Replies

• bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Oh my gosh that looks so good!
    Did you create this recipe? Because this is my first time hearing about it.
  • Murphk323
    Options
    I wish! I read about it in a magazine, tried it and was hooked.
    and I got the picture from google, haha...
  • prettyone822
    Options
    that does look delicious... so is it just bananas in the bottom? i totally wanna try this!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    looks delish :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I heart One Ingredient Ice Cream!

Edit - Maybe it's my blender but it never works in it. The food processor works like a charm for me.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I HAVE to try this :)
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yummmm!!! thanks! =) Saving for later!
  • digitalchique
    digitalchique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yum! You can do that with mangoes too. I blend frozen mango slices with a tiny bit of vanilla extract and it makes an awesome sorbet all on it's own. If I want something a little creamer I add about half a tablespoon of raw coconut oil. A little cinnamon is awesome in it too.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome! I will have to try this with some pb!
    have any more recipes!

ofvmnt.jpg

I live in Texas where it's a billion degrees outside and I always crave ice cream!
    Forget the high calorie temptations and go with this recipe.

You will need:
    1 peeled and sliced banana (stick that baby in the freezer for an hour or two.)

Blend frozen slices in a food processor or blender.

THE BEST PART: Toppings!!!
    You can add walnuts, almonds, peanut butter (my favorite), honey, agave nectar, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, whatever you like, the sky is the limit.
    You can also blend it with organic cocoa powder or some whey protein powder.

BENEFITS: bananas contain tryptophan, which is an amino acid that can convert to seratonin, which can lead to improved mood. Other health benefits: high in iron, high in fiber, and high in potassium which helps prevent heart problems ;)
  • blazingbabe
    blazingbabe Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It sounds and looks delicious.:smile:
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I might give this a try tomorrow for a snack after working outside in the sun - looks awesome!
  • Murphk323
    Options
    Yum! You can do that with mangoes too. I blend frozen mango slices with a tiny bit of vanilla extract and it makes an awesome sorbet all on it's own. If I want something a little creamer I add about half a tablespoon of raw coconut oil. A little cinnamon is awesome in it too.

I gotta try it with mangos! yummmm.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    looks good!!! Ive been trying to get my daughter to eat healthier too. She isnt too happy about giving up the ice cream so this is a life saver. I think ill make some for us tomorrow :D thanks
  • jeffwar
    jeffwar Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you very much for this recipe, can't wait to try it. I miss Ice cream. :happy:
  • digitalchique
    digitalchique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feed this to my 3 year old all the time, and she loves it! I'm not sure she noticed the difference....
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!!! Excited to try it :D
  • jamie117100
    Options
    OMG! What a temptation! :bigsmile:
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    Ummmm, YUM! Thanks :)
  • jsstein19
    jsstein19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've seen this and been skeptical being such a BIG ice cream fan. One question for those that have tried it, is there a certain amount of ripeness of the banana that works better than another? More green? More brown? Want to try it this weekend. Thanks!