Taxing red meat

Options
Here in the UK, I have just come across an article which is saying that we may have to start paying tax (or already are) on red meat!! What are people’s thoughts on this?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Here is some context: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/06/taxing-red-meat-would-save-many-lives-research-shows

It looks like an attempt to re-coup some of the health costs linked to red meat consumption, specifically processed meats like bacon and sausage.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Here is some context: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/06/taxing-red-meat-would-save-many-lives-research-shows

It looks like an attempt to re-coup some of the health costs linked to red meat consumption, specifically processed meats like bacon and sausage.

But isn't pork considered white meat?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »

But isn't pork considered white meat?

I don't know if it is considered white meat in the UK, I think that may be an advertising convention in the US developed by US pork farmers seeking to counteract concerns about beef consumption. Maybe someone from the UK can clue us in?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The other white meat was simply a marketing thing. It was supposed to suggest that pork is lean, like chicken. It's kind of ridiculous, because different cuts yield different fat contents. Pork belly (bacon) is obviously not as lean as pork loin (back strap). It's just how fat is distributed.

To the user who said that beef is mostly lean, and I could absolutely be mistaken (and probably am), but in my experience it is not mostly lean. Most cuts are fairly marbled and/or lined with fat. Sirloin certainly can be very lean, and I think London Broil as well, but a lot of cuts (like the bulk of the animal) are pretty calorie dense. I hate to admit I almost never eat beef, because it usually takes some decent fat content to actually taste good (ribeye... mmmm...) or is so lean that it isn't worth my eating it.

ETA: meant to make the distinction between dark and white meat with chicken, turkey.

Again, I could totally be wrong about that.

For those who are so against a red meat tax, how do you feel about other sin taxes like on cigarettes (this is happening in some places) or, say, fast food? Just curious. Not trying to be a smart *kitten*.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:

"In culinary terms, only flesh from mammals or fowl (not fish) is classified as red or white.[3][4] In nutritional science, on the other hand, red meat is defined as any meat that has more of the protein myoglobin than "white meat", defined as non-dark meat from chicken (excluding the leg or thigh) or fish. Some meat, such as pork, is classified as red meat under the nutritional definition, and white meat under the common or gastronomic definition."

I love debate threads where I can learn something (like this one).

Yup, I always thought red meat was from mammals and white meat was from birds, regardless of actual color.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,743 Member
    Options
    Is the government actively considering taxing red meat, or is this at the stage of scientist recommendations?
    Found the full original article
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0204139

The corresponding author is a vegan
    http://www.oxfordtoday.ox.ac.uk/interviews/what-if-we-all-turned-vegan-2050
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Here is some additional context: "The Other White Meat" campaign is US-based, culinary tradition usually considers pork as white meat, but nutritional studies (and the USDA) typically consider it to be red. I'm guessing that the proposed tax is treating pork as a red meat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork._The_Other_White_Meat
    mph323 wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:

"In culinary terms, only flesh from mammals or fowl (not fish) is classified as red or white.[3][4] In nutritional science, on the other hand, red meat is defined as any meat that has more of the protein myoglobin than "white meat", defined as non-dark meat from chicken (excluding the leg or thigh) or fish. Some meat, such as pork, is classified as red meat under the nutritional definition, and white meat under the common or gastronomic definition."

Love learning new stuff. Thanks!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This is ridiculous...I'm totally killing myself by consuming 96% lean red meat 3-4X per week. Thank God I have government backing to provide me incentive to give a damn about my health through taxation (sarcasm, eyeroll, etc.)

This is not a black and white matter as say smoking a pack of cigarettes as a regular habit
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness though. Things like sausage, ham and burgers are a cheap/er source of food/protein for people on lower incomes. So it will be those people who already can't afford the leaner cuts of fresh meat/fish that will be penalised by higher prices and reduced to ever cheaper options which will probably be even less healthy.

I think this is the biggest concern and issue with something like this.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,743 Member
    Options
    They're assuming that "low income countries" have a low consumption of meat, but what about accounting for the different income strata within the same country? I take it you're talking about the impact on the poorer people within a so-called higher income country that presumably has a higher meat consumption? would those poorer people be the ones more likely to be eating processed meat?