so many questions about this lifestyle change.

Options
2»

Replies

• tag8055
    tag8055 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I just looked up the skinnytaste recipe, you could add low fat cottage cheese It's is an excellent protein booster for creamed vegetable soups and tastes really good. It stands up to heat well, adds to the creaminess, and adds to the cheesiness. Since you're pureeing the soup, lumps won't be an issue.[/quote]

Oh im definitely going to try this! Thank you!
  • tag8055
    Options
    Hydrolyzed collagen is flavorless protein that dissolves easily in hot or cold liquids. I stir it in my morning (hot) coffee and don't taste it at all. It would be fine in soup. I use Great Lakes brand.

Thank you I will look into this!
  • chogeland62
    chogeland62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but here goes. I do best on a higher protein/fat, low carb plan. It keeps me fuller longer. I used to do the low fat thing and by the time I got home from work I was so hungry I was ready to gnaw off my arm! Eating an adequate amount of good protein and fats takes longer to digest thus you feel fuller longer. Also you burn more calories to break down protein and fat than you do carbs, especially simple carbs.
    I eat two eggs a day and have for a long time. My cholesterol is not way high, around 200. But the thing that my doctor likes is that both my good and bad cholesterol levels are good. And I satisfy my sweet tooth with a little treat after dinner instead of eating a pint of Ben and Jerry’s. No food is off limits as long as it fits in your nutritional goals.
    You’ll find the proportions that work best for you. Wishing you all the best❤️
  • veroniquepoirier
    veroniquepoirier Posts: 39 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Volume eating has saved my weight goald. I can’t do it without the volume eating feeling. That means I need to feel full and don’t be hungry all the time. So I eat large amount of very low calorie food. 0% grec yogourt, extra extra large salad + veggie + lean protein. At night I eat lean protein (a good large piece) with roasted veggies + grec yogourt + garlic and cayenne. I feel full and good. I tent to eat my meal when I m hungry. Usally breakfast is late after my third coffe and dinner is early (can be at 16h if I need to eat.)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't do protein powders but as for the craving issue... I use sugarless products. I know alot of people are against artificial sweeteners but they saved me. I was a candy addict when I started dieting and couldn't just quit cold turkey. I am sensitive to some sugar alcohols so I usually allow myself 2 pieces of sugarless candy (like a lifesaver or Werther's) per day. I also buy Ross sugar free chocolate bars. I eat one square a day. It does not set off cravings. The sugar without a doubt does.

For the salt craving which is much worse for me these days I use Boom-chick-a-pop popcorn. I buy the big bags at Costco. I will admit however that I have to measure it or I eat too much. It is filling though and much better as a snack than say potato chips or something as far as getting more for my calories.

Regarding still being hungry after eating 6 ounces of chicken, I would suggest eating more veggies. I eat alot of broccoli and I find when I'm hungry after dinner it's usually because I was too lazy to make some good high fibre veggies. I try to eat twice as many vegetables as starch. So If I have 1/2 cup of potato I'll eat a cup of broccoli or something similar. Fresh steamed vegetables are more filling that canned. Frozen is a close second. Find something you like and eat plenty. It will keep you full much longer. I also use a teaspoon of butter it's worth every single calorie to me and fat is satiating.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A tip for managing the holidays: Just make smaller amounts of what you usually eat so the threat of days of high-calorie leftovers is gone. Enjoy the actual holiday meals, but don't extend that eating beyond the holiday.

Lots of other great advice here.

Unless you are incredibly active and/or have an aversion to meat, I would just work on getting protein via food (typically meat). Early in the process it's easiest to focus on the basics. Build a meal out of one protein, one starch, two veggies, and one fat.

Mixing and matching that idea kind of looks like this:

Taco Salad
    Meat = Beef or chicken (4-6oz)
    Starch = Tortilla chips (28g)
    Veggie = Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, whatever. About 250g total, 150 of which is probably the lettuce.
    Fat=1/2 TB of oil to cook the meat with and 1/2 TB of salad dressing (I try the yogurt cream dressings. Bolthouse is a popular brand or mixing lowfat sour cream with salsa).

Get a food scale and be especially diligent about weighing your meats and fats, but really weigh everything. This will put in in as much control of your diets as possible to really see those portions and plan your calories. It takes practice, seems a little overkill at first, but will really help you lock in how much food you need to eat in a day to lose weight (and how to work in treats!).

I was also big into Pepsi and candy and fast food when I started losing weight. I gave up the Pepsi altogether and drank sparkling water and diet soda. Candy for the most part had to go, but I do have some every now and again (just not every day as an afternoon snack).

Experiment with foods that make you feel full. It's different for everyone.
  • tag8055
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much!!
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    From your post only (and I may have gone overboard in interpretation) I read you translated
    tag8055 wrote: »
    the simple sugar, high fats, processed food and to loose some weight by exercising and come back in 3 months for more blood work
    to eating high processed protein powders and a diet high in protein only
    What i suggest as a translation is simply cut added sugar and home cook with portion control.

what is the best way to handle the simple sugar and salt cravings? right now we feel that they right now are trigger foods and if we touch them there won't be any turning back.
    What I did when I started is avoid the trigger foods for a few weeks. Not having them in the house helps a lot then.
    I avoided anything with added sugar for 3 months initially. Not because I think sugar is bad, but to break the trigger habit. I occasionally still tell myself a month no sugar whenI feel the trigger is kicking in again. Note this is added sugars only I still eat fruits.
    As for salt I started cooking with very very little salet and learning about other spices and how to use them - turns out that salt is great as a flavour enhancer, but so are other spices - growing herbs helps too Fresh herbs are the best, no salt needed. Again breaking a trigger
    are there sources of protein powders that aren't flavored so that i can incorporate in soup instead of a smoothie that won't change the taste too much?
    Why do you feel you need to eat protein powders? Never touched them as they tend to have a bitter component that is too strong for me (often masked by sweetners that leave a bitter aftertaste in my mouth)
    I did get into using liquid egg white for a while instead of eggs but generally speaking never used anything but 'normal' food.
    most of our protein portions are 6oz at a meal a day, at the time they feel like they are enough but shortly after we feel hungry. any tips on how to sustain the hunger?
    Not everybody feels full on a high protein diet. I know I don't. For me it is complex carbs that'll me up. So for me, personally, the answer would be fruit/raw vegetable or even a rice wafer with tomato and pepper). High protein with a little added fat will also help.