Help! I hit a Plateau

Hey guys! Been on a steady weight loss journey (15lbs so far with a goal of dropping another 35lbs or more). But I have hit a plateau early in this journey. I’m still eating my vegetables, exercising and huge on protein with minimal carbs. Any ideas on what I should do to change things up?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Do you use a food scale, weighing everything, and log religiously, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting? If not, start there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • Mel_pinkninja
    Mel_pinkninja Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you! Honestly I haven’t used a food scale. I estimate the size of my portions and use the app religiously. But a good thought, thank you! Will go search for one 😊
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Thank you! Honestly I haven’t used a food scale. I estimate the size of my portions and use the app religiously. But a good thought, thank you! Will go search for one 😊

Cool. Tell us what you find out. It's always so interesting.
  • Mel_pinkninja
    Thanks for sharing the diet break articles. Insightful!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited November 2018
    Digital food scale about $20 on Amazon. (Just saying, it's easy to buy. :))
  • jactrying
    jactrying Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you so much firstly for asking the question and then for all of the really helpful replies.
    Looks like it's back to the scales I got too big for my boots for, thinking I didn't need them so much anymore.
    Hope you're going well @Mel_pinkninja
  • LisaMelton1
    LisaMelton1 Posts: 24 Member
    Check the amount of fats in your protein. I thought lowering carbs was all I needed to lose but found myself plateauing when I got complacent on fats
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    As others have said, weighing is essential - especially for hard to estimate things like pasta. NEVER use a cup or an entry on the website which says "average portion", "1/4 of recipe"(unless you also have that recipe). Also vary your exercise - different things on different days, try a new routine.
    But I think the bottom line is your lack of food scale
  • Mel_pinkninja
    Thank you all for the great responses!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Definitely use the scale. humans are bad at guessing portions (especially if one hasn't measure at least once to have seen and felt what the portion was but even then).
  • APurpleNinja
    APurpleNinja Posts: 7 Member
    I definitely understand. I'm not losing nearly enough either. Last month I only lost 5 pounds over the whole month. I work out an hour to two hours a day. I burn 500 -1000 active calories a day. I'm always under calorie budget, and I try to make it a deficit of 1000 calories. I am trying everything and nothing feels like its working. It's really discouraging.