Question for keto people

Options
How long does it take for your body to go into ketosis? I'm slightly low carb - around 150g a day - that being said, almost all of my carbs are eaten in about a 6 hour period in the afternoon. I have no intention of going keto, but I've recently been wondering if my meal timing and macro profile is putting me in mild ketosis at times...A typical day looks like this:

9:30am - Greek yogurt protien shake
2:30pm - whey protien isolate shake, 2 clementines (post gym)
4:00pm - 4oz Salmon, Greek yogurt, 2 boiled eggs, sometimes salad
8:pm - 8oz sirloin steak, salad, veggies, 3-6oz of sweet potato fries (baked)
10:30pm 1.2 oz beef jerky, 5-6 tbsp natural peanut butter, Syntha-6 edge protien shake.

After the 10:30 snack, I don't have anything until the following mornings shake - am I going into ketosis due to the fact that my final meal before an 11hr fast is almost all fats and protien?

I don't really care if i am or not, this eating schedule works well for me I am just curious - does it happen this fast or does it take longer?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think I drift in and out and like you don't care. When I am in I can taste acetone in my mouth so that's my only gauge. How long it takes is going to very widely by person and is affected by meal carb content.
  • thelegendofsakura89
    Options
    Yeah, 150g isn't "slightly low carb," you need <20 to get into ketosis I think.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Most people are ketogenic under 50g of carbs a day; some need to go lower. If you are very active and timing carbs around exercise, you could be ketogenic at 150g carbs.

It is quite possible to drift in and out of ketosis due to fasting and macro breakdown of meals. You could well be experiencing mild ketosis by the early afternoon. The longer one uses ketosis, generally the easier it gets for the body to switch to ketone use when carbs or calories are low.

You could always purchase ketone testers to find out for sure. Blood tests are the best but expensive. Urine Ketostix give you a rough estimate of ketosis. any colour change at all equals ketosis.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Around 50g of carb seems to be the cut off point for me and I tend to have an easier time staying in ketosis if I am running daily. I agree that 150g sounds to high for ketosis but you can still benefit from low carb without ketosis.
  • skinnynurse2019
    skinnynurse2019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can eat 40g and be in moderate ketosis in 2-3days. Watch everything...mostly animal proteins you have to eat. Veggies, fruits, pasta, etc have too much.