Never too late.

Options
53 years old, slowing down and feeling pretty crappy about myself and my health. I love to cook and I love to feed people. I have never put any focus on a healthy manner of eating. I was VERY athletic in high school and had no problem eating like a horse and staying fit. Went into construction out of high school and literally worked my butt off. As my skill and experience increased, the physical demand diminished but my appetite did not. I am now in the office and in July my weight made it to 361 Lbs. My wife mentioned that my Dr. was not doing his job and wanted a second opinion. New Dr. provided a realistic synopses of my overall health with a dim prognosis. I was committing suicide by fork on the installment plan.

Medical diagnosis had my undivided attention.

It also unleashed a willingness to do whatever is necessary to change. I am still cooking incredible food, I just changed what I am cooking and began tracking my food. I also started consuming lots of water. I went from coffee being the only liquid that I was drinking, going from 224 oz of black coffee a day / 0 water, to 24 - 48 oz of black coffee and 200 oz of water.
On September 29, I was straining a bit to pick up a 44 pound bag of dog food when it hit me... as of right then, i had lost 45 pounds. That blew me away! How did I carry this much weight at all times. That explains the way I felt. FF to November 6, I am down 56 pounds! The Dr. has changed prognoses to one with hope and can not believe the indisputable results from following her directions.My wife says that I am looking better in my cloths...I say that I am looking better out of them!
More to come...
gsuzcanvt1m1.jpg

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I’m so happy for you! Great work and congrats on your 56 pound loss-well done! Best of health to you going forward:)
  • kickingitup
    kickingitup Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!!!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Wow outstanding job simply amazing congrats
  • bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You sir are a captivating writer! I look forward to reading about more of ur success! Job well done so far! Thanks for sharing.
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading that. You have a great way with words. Looking forward to instalment two.
    Wishing you continued success on your journey.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress.

Love the dog food analogy. As you lose keep lifting those heavy things and putting them down again.

My SO worked through the civil construction industry and, like you, by 50+ was not burning the cals, office bound, but still eating them.

It took some serious cal tracking to get him down to his former weight, but he got there and has maintained it (10lbs range) for about 4 years now.

Cheers, h.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Loved reading this. Congrats and good luck on your journey! :)
  • chawn66
    chawn66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep up the hard work, it’s worth it!!
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also very much enjoyed your story. I laughed when you said that you looked better out of your clothes. What wit! I'm sure you are right, after your 56lb loss. I wish you continued success and happiness.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

You might have missed your calling by going into construction rather than writing :smile:
  • jean133mjg
    Options
    Nothing says you can't do both, construction and writing. You have a way with words. I'll be watching for more from you.
  • KayakerJoe
    KayakerJoe Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    53 is not an age to be slowing down my friend. You have so much more to achieve!! Well done.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Well done. Amazing transformation!
  • jean133mjg
    Options
    Another awesome read. Beautiful little girl with you too. Keep winning the war and keep posting.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It can just kinda sneak up on you over the years. The important thing now is that you recognize what you’re dealing with and are willing to make changes. I think you’ll do fine—keep us posted!
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great work - you're in the right place
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @dwburman95

“ I was committing suicide by fork on the installment plan.”

I have felt same at some point. Feeling breathless after short walking which was my wake up call as I love walking.

Thank you such a inspiring writing. Looking forward to read more. You have made amazing progress.
  • Pameleaner
    Pameleaner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Brilliant in every way. You so deserve the wonderful life you have worked for. You could also publish by the way.
    Seriously ! All the very best to you and your family. I hope to read more from you. Pam.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!